Thread: Water hunt cut short by police!

Hybrid View

Water hunt cut short by police!

Hi all,
    Hope everyone is staying warm? Got up to the mid 30s today, so compared to -10 from last week, it's a heat wave! I've been chomping at the bit to get out swinging somewhere, anywhere, for a while now. Today I had the chance to scope out about 20 miles of Lake Michigan coastline to try and find someplace accessible. Normally by this time of year there is so much ice and snow built up along the shore it would be like scaling n ice shelf just to get to water too deep to hunt.
    But today I got lucky and found a somewhat more sheltered beach, and located an access point to the water which was only knee deep at that point. Yes! Grabbed my stuff and jumped in. Unfortunately this area must get pounded during the summer because in an hour or so of swinging I only got one signal which turned up a penny. Not even so much as a pull tab or bottle cap the rest of the hunt.
    But then I hear yelling and see a uniformed cop waving at me. Ok, so I scramble up to the top of the beach, and the cop tells me they had a call that someone was out swimming in the lake! Then another cop pulls up and comes over to question me too. But the first cop finally figured out I was metal detecting and was in full cold water gear, and not actually swimming. Good grief! Apparently cop #2 didn't quite understand so I had some 'splainin to do. They both ended up taking down all my info and explained they had to file reports why there wasn't going to be a psych eval needed this time.
    By this time I figured I had enough grief for one day and just headed hope before one of the local cops did decide to keep me in a ward for observation. Sorry that there's no finds to show, but hope a couple scenery photos will do for today. Thanks for reading!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Maybe that psych eval wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Just kidding, of course! I know how it is when your jonesing to go detecting so bad. I'm sure the cops were just concerned for your safety. Loony person in the lake? Just another dedicated detectorist!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 01-09-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Jeepers!! I'd have had a heart attack with the cold water and the cops You've given me an idea for a thread, Chris.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Chris, I'm not sure what would have been more appropriate, the psych eval or a Medal of Valor.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I bet the cops are still talking about that call!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

you are either "hardcore" or do need a psych-eval , Chris ! Then again 'cabin fever" can make you do so odd things .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    you are either "hardcore" or do need a psych-eval , Chris ! Then again 'cabin fever" can make you do so odd things .
    Maybe a little of both?
    Equipment:

I've asked myself many a times " What the heck am I doing out here in this kind of weather ??? Then you get that tone you've been wanting and then it don't seem as cold or crazy to be out !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Ha! Pretty funny. Should have asked if they wanted to take some pics of you in the water
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Man your a serious dude cold water gear your making me cold just thinking about it

Digger, same thing for me by waterford while I was out river hunting for old bottles while the river was down this winter. Peaked quite a few people's interest why I was chest deep in 10 degree weather. Police even called my house when they saw my car sitting by the river and had my son call me to say the cops were looking for me. I didn't answer the police call as I didn't recognise the number, Nice to see they care. Found many late 1800's to early 1900's with the earliest being a 1840's flask. Was going to take out the detector but they just raised the river again.

Candidate Member
    It is days like this that make you appreciate the super nice days.

I would suggest to the cops they track down the person who said you were swimming and have them given an eye test.

Great story! Very funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Equipment: