Thread: a few of my nicer dug coppers

a few of my nicer dug coppers

All found in the south carolina lowcountry while relic hunting. The one at the top is a 1722 Rosa Americana. I appreciate the advice about sending my half dime off to be slabbed. I was kinda wondering why the guy that made me the offer didnt want me to send it in. He said as soon as I did the word about the coin would get out and he didn't want that.When he first saw it on some coin blog several people were cynical about it being real.Me I've been relic hunting for over 20 yrs and the site I found this coin in was a small horse pasture with a colonial site in it. There was also a confederate civil war camp there. The only thing late ever to come out that pasture was a few shotgun shell hulls and this site has been hunted for 20 yrs!. Everything else was old so I know my find is real. No modern anything ever came out of this place not even modern change! Trust me it's 100 % authentic but I guess I have to satisfy critics since it is so rare. My question is the 2 places to send it too I heard one you have to be a member of. Do you guys know if this is true? Can I send it in myself or do I have to get a coin dealer to do it? ANy help would be appreciated. The guy offerd me 10,000 for it upon his inspection of course . He said by the photos it was worth that to him. Here's a few of my nicer lowcountry dug coppers, I dig a nice one every now and then, hope you enjoy the pic.
    Laszlo

Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: a few of my nicer dug coppers

Umm, I'm thinking if he offered you $10,000 based on pictures it must be worth a lot more. I wouldn't really mind having your problem.
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

I would contact both PCGS and NGC by E mail and tell them what you have. Include a picture, front and back with the E mail. Also ask them how you would go about sending such a rare item to them, ensuring it's safety? Maybe there are some conventions where you could actually give the coin (along with documentation from them) to one of their representatives and bypass a dealer or the mail altogether. I don't know where they are based out of, but maybe you are lucky enough to live close by lol As for the coppers, a nice group of coins. The soil is very kind to them. I know some of the British coppers hold up well, as do some of the contempory counterfeits we have around here in the George III range. I have a couple of the counterfeits and they are worth much more than the common Georges. But even a regal George copper in that condition is a welcomed find. the Rosa is sweet too!! One note on counterfeit Georges. If you have a regal one it should read a certain number on your machine (providing your machine assigns numbers to targets). If you put the counterfeit under the coil, it should read much lower. After all, there is no profit in making a counterfeit from good copper.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member

The reason he probably does not want it slabbed is because the grading is subjective. He figures he can make a nice offer based on HIS evaluation of the condition and you will jump on it. Then he can have it sent off for grading himself. He probably graded the coin at a lower condition rate for this purchase. Hes figuring it is in better condition than what he is willing to pay you. I see it all the time in the rare baseball card market and its no different here. Be careful. That stuff about all the attention the coin will bring is a lot of nonsense. Great coin and enjoy it!