Thread: Colonial cabin site found! What an experience!

Colonial cabin site found! What an experience!

Sunday, Danny and I hit several cellar holes and I had the opportunity to experience something that few detectorists will ever see. The highlight of the day for me was when Danny walked us into a colonial cabin site deep in the woods and on a secluded hill. It was so small that you could walk right by it and not even see it. It's one thing to find cellar holes but it takes experience to locate the cabin sites! Cabins were not built to be permanent structures. It was truly one of the most magical moments I have ever had out in the woods. Just looking at the site was exciting in and of itself. I managed to find my first complete, large size, shoe buckle frame at this site and I will never forget it.Name:  26731554_10210903353683463_9214257943586511834_n.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  126.7 KB
    Last edited by Donnie B; 01-23-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Sunday, Danny and I hit several cellar holes and I had the opportunity to experience something that few detectorists will ever see. The highlight of the day for me was when Danny walked us into a colonial cabin site deep in the woods and on a secluded hill. It was so small that you could walk right by it and not even see it. It's one thing to find cellar holes but it takes experience to locate the cabin sites! Cabins were not built to be permanent structures. It was truly one of the most magical moments I have ever had out in the woods. Just looking at the site was exciting in and of itself. I managed to find my first complete, large size, shoe buckle frame at this site and I will never forget it.Name:  26731554_10210903353683463_9214257943586511834_n.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  126.7 KB
    Nice buckle frame . I have found several cabin sites. The last one was in December . I’ll bet I walked by it at least 10 times in route to a larger cellar I had been working. It was small, nondescript and best of all undetected. It is very old and my one visit before deer season produced several coppers and a bunch of buttons . I only scratched the surface and actually left a nice mid 80’s signal near the rim.I have decided not to go back until I can take my grandson on his first detecting trip in a year or two. I have no fears it will be discovered. You are right they are very special.

That a cool sight hope it gives up some nice stuff for you

That's great, Donnie! Cabins are rare and exciting to find! Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Very cool !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

WOW that's cool! You guys have some great sites up there.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Very cool, and admittedly I'm jealous. Not only are you able to dig this time of year, but you have the potential to find sites like this. 99.8% of the oldest sites In my region have already been built on or paved over.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's great, Donnie! Cabins are rare and exciting to find! Congrats!
    Danny found the cabin. I was just there to share in the excitement and learn from The Master!
    XP Deus

Thanks for sharing your story Danny. I'm sure that was a great experience! I've yet to discover a true cabin site here in northern VT, but I'm sure there's a few.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

WTG Donnie! Those buckles are great to find! Can we get a better pic in focus
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG Donnie! Those buckles are great to find! Can we get a better pic in focus
    Thanks! It actually doesn't look much better in focus! LOL! I found it in a low spot next to a creek and it must have been laying in wet soil for 225 years. I have never seen so much corroded brass on any relic. The brass was soft from being rotten! I saved what I could and gave it several coats of polyurethane to keep it from crumbling. Name:  27067865_10210934852150905_1838453323806894975_n.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  63.8 KBI'm still very happy to have found my first, large size, shoe buckle and walking in on that cabin was magical. I can't describe the feeling of walking into that small site.
    XP Deus

Congratulations on a great find! What is the signs of a cabin site that one looks for?
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Congratulations on a great find! What is the signs of a cabin site that one looks for?
    I'm just learning the ropes but the colonial cabin site that Danny found was a small, very shallow, depression with a small rock pile on one end. The rock pile would have been the remains of a collapsed chimney. Like I said, you could walk right past it and not even give a thought unless you knew what you were looking at.
    XP Deus

Congrats on your shoe buckle and pocket watch Donnie Its too bad some one beat us to that cabin site , I'm sure it was the same person who left the lincoln memorial for me to chip out of the frozen mud !

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Tony many are either on a graded level piece of ground with a few large stones in a square or as Donnie mentioned with a very shallow depression and a pile of stones at one side where a chimney had stood . Many don't have wells but some do nearby .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Congrats on your shoe buckle and pocket watch Donnie Its too bad some one beat us to that cabin site , I'm sure it was the same person who left the lincoln memorial for me to chip out of the frozen mud !

Tony many are either on a graded level piece of ground with a few large stones in a square or as Donnie mentioned with a very shallow depression and a pile of stones at one side where a chimney had stood . Many don't have wells but some do nearby .
    Dan, thanks for this info. these cabin sites seem to be rare and even harder to find..
    Nice buckle Donnie
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Really cool, I would love to find an old cabin site. Most of the sites I hunt are old farm fields, with the actual location of the home never known. If we hit a hot area on a farm, we think that's where the home most likely was.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Tons of great finds. Congrats.
    You guys always find the coolest stuff.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos