Thread: Coil Wire Issues

Question Coil Wire Issues

Hey All.

Just wondering if any of you have had the same issues I've had. Seems every few years where the grey wire goes into the coil I notice thru the flexible black plastic protector the grey wire cover separates & you can see the white fiber wrapping or the white wires showing.

Yesterday I was out in the field and noticed that my coil kept sending false signals and I saw that this issue had happened again & that I could see that the white wires were exposed and the insulation had separated exposing the silver wires.

I checked my 6x10 Elliptical DD and noticed the same issue but luckily the white wire insulation had not broken open. I wrapped some electrical tape around it & was able to slide the flexible black plastic protector back over it.

This is the 3rd time I've had to buy new coils (2-10" DD & 1-6x10 Elliptical DD).
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

In all the years I had my DFX, I never noticed that with any of the 5 coils Rebel. I did have the 10 DD start to false on me and Whites replaced it. Send it back to Sweet Home and they should replace it for you.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I just had a very similar issue with my barely used White's D2 coil for my MXT Pro. The coil was slightly less than two years old and, as I said, barely used. I probably only used it three or four times because I like to run my Detech coils. I put it on the machine to get a little extra depth in the snow and hunted for about seven hours without finding anything at all. I wasn't getting any falsing so I think the coil was working properly. I changed to my Detech coil and started finding relics! I called White's and they "sent" me a replacement. Actually, I received the replacement yesterday. They sent me the 10" coil for the MX Sport which won't work on my machine! Called again and they are sending me the correct coil (hopefully).Name:  27459908_10210942792789416_3122207136319585849_n.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  71.8 KB
    XP Deus

Donnie, yep that is the issue I had. As I hunt Fall, Winter, Spring & Summer (if it's not too hot/humid), I guess the colder temps make the cover brittle causing it to snap. I've wrapped the flexible part with electrical tape to give it some more protection/strength. As I hunt the woods I wonder if the vines, prickers...etc... get in between the flexible part & give the wire a rope burn.

On a side note my new 10" DD Coli came in & Whites has redesigned it. I freaked out as I thought they sent me the wrong coil but in the end it is correct. See These 2 posts over @ Whites.

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...il-For-the-V3I

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...s-10”DD-Update
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Donnie, yep that is the issue I had. As I hunt Fall, Winter, Spring & Summer (if it's not too hot/humid), I guess the colder temps make the cover brittle causing it to snap. I've wrapped the flexible part with electrical tape to give it some more protection/strength. As I hunt the woods I wonder if the vines, prickers...etc... get in between the flexible part & give the wire a rope burn.

On a side note my new 10" DD Coli came in & Whites has redesigned it. I freaked out as I thought they sent me the wrong coil but in the end it is correct. See These 2 posts over @ Whites.

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...il-For-the-V3I

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...8221;DD-Update
    I hate to say it but they look very cheaply made. I wonder if they will hold up to 10 degree cellar hole hunts?
    XP Deus

All in all it seems just like my orig. coil. Hopefully those temps are behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    I hate to say it but they look very cheaply made. I wonder if they will hold up to 10 degree cellar hole hunts?
    Cob.

My Album

Something happened the year the Vision/V3 was released. Coil build quality went down in my opinion. I have only had Super12 and D2 coils repeatably go bad on me though. My DFX/MXT years were trouble free.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    Something happened the year the Vision/V3 was released. Coil build quality went down in my opinion. I have only had Super12 and D2 coils repeatably go bad on me though. My DFX/MXT years were trouble free.
    I agree with you there Jack . I have seen a ton of them D2 coils and 6x10 coils go bad in a very short amount of time .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album