Thread: For history buffs

For history buffs

The past couple days I've been checking into information about my local museum and found out things have changed a LOT since my last visit back in the 70's. I was planning to finally make a visit this Saturday for a date so was checking out admission prices when I discovered they have actual annual memberships very reasonable. They give free admission, flat fee parking, and access to member only events. Some of these events I thought very intriguing because they get you behind the scenes for private after hours tours, access to non public areas and items, and even some actul hands on access to the old relics. I thought this could also open the door to access a lot more information about the area for my detecting.
    Now, while I was checking out my member benefits and event calender I stumbled onto another possibility. Turns out they have volunteer opportunities in many areas of the museum, with the possibility of eventually becoming a docent and being in charge of your own area of the museum after completing their training program. Sounds to me like a great opportunity to maybe give back to the community and help educate the future generations about the past, hopefully making it fun and sparking their curiosity.
    As I found, most if not all major museums have similar opportunities for volunteering, and also the memberships that pay for themselves in as little as one visit. So if amyine is a history buff, it may be well worth checking into your local museum.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Excellent post & very informative!

Years ago when I was a Civil War Re-Enactor I discovered that my Regiment's Battle Flag (12th Georgia) remnants were at the Museum of the Confederacy, in Richmond. I was able to get a sketch of what remained & was able to get an exact replica made for our Company. I made arrangements with the conservator of the flag department & was given a behind the scenes tour that the most people never get to see. Not only did I get to see the actual battle flag of my Regiment but I was also shown a lot more.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Several years ago I joined our local historical society and have had a great time. It's a volunteer thing and from time to time I greet at the museum. I have learned a great deal about things and places in our area, and have gained permission to hunt properties normally closed to other people. It's a great place to obtain sites to hunt, learn about local history, and meet some pretty cool people.
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.