I know the detecting community always is buzzing about the "latest and greatest" machine to hit the market. Today it's the Equinox, next week it might be something else. But are the new machines being introduced really that much of an improvement over the last?
From everything I have seen is that manufacturers seem to only release new equipment that just barely tops the competition, or maybe adds a few bells and whistles. Granted, the Equinox looks to be Minelabs response to the Deus, but the actual technology is far from cutting edge and only another refinement of older tech. Maybe it's the cost of manufacturing, thus final selling price that prohibits faster, deeper machines? I don't know. What I can say is that in a factory setting we have relatively inexpensive sensing equipment that is far more complex and lightning fast. Imagine swinging your coil at 50mph over a variety of closely spaced targets at various depths and being able to accurately identify and size and shape of every one? Where I work, we have equipment that does precisely that.
Current metal detecting technology is old. VLF and PI designs have been around forever. Just wondering if we will ever see something actually new and innovative in our lifetime?