Thread: Demoralizing First Hunt with Equinox 600

Demoralizing First Hunt with Equinox 600

Hey guys,
    It took me a good year to understand my T2....so I thought half that time might be adequate to learn this Minelab...because some stuff should transfer. After my first 90 mins I've upped my estimation back to a year...if EVER!

Mistake no. 1 - I took this beast to my most difficult site. The field has unreal mineralization for my area. My thinking was it has multi-frequency MAGIC and can automatically cut through bad dirt.

Mistake no. 2 - I went to the most iron filled area of this field. So now I'm fighting bad dirt AND much iron. The thing sounded like a 3rd grade recorder class covering something from Arnold Schoenberg. There were trills, grace notes, glissandi, etc.

Mistake no. 3 - This one is on Minelab. I put on the headphones provided and the left one is clanking around in my ear. I'm like, "this thing isn't even connected." Sure enough, no sound...a few times the right ear cut out too. Sadly it came back on when I turned the jack where it connects to the actual detector. I might need to send the whole thing back. I called the rep and Minelab is supposed to email me Friday because they are "backed up."

I did find three small non-ferrous targets. 2 out of 3 were close to the surface and gave multiple sounds. This happens once in a while on the T2 and I know how to check it by lifting the coil...but it happened with the FIRST TWO 1inch targets with the Equinox

Tomorrow after work I'll try an easier site and soldier on.
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 02-20-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

With any machine it takes time to get use to. But being a new release , I’m sure there will be bugs that they didn’t quite find from testing in real world situations. Most tests I had seen on YouTube were air tests which doesn’t really compare to actual targets in the ground in undisturbed dirt. I watched many videos and all but one were simply just an air test or shallow target simulation. Being that I’m more into water detecting, I did see one video where it actually picked up a gold chain in every direction where the Ctx e tracs and X cals wouldn’t even hear ..just like the Ctx when it was first released, it had a few issues minelab had to change and re do. I’m definitely interested in the equinox, but since it’s a new release, I think I can wait at least a year and see what people complain about or have actual problems with and see if anything has been updated... until then I will just keep using the one that I know is telling me !! Good luck with yours , hope you didn’t receive a lemon !!

Thanks, Hiluxyota...they'll fix or replace the audio issue...and I'll learn what the machine is telling me...eventually.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Hiluxyota View Post
    With any machine it takes time to get use to. But being a new release , I’m sure there will be bugs that they didn’t quite find from testing in real world situations. Most tests I had seen on YouTube were air tests which doesn’t really compare to actual targets in the ground in undisturbed dirt. I watched many videos and all but one were simply just an air test or shallow target simulation. Being that I’m more into water detecting, I did see one video where it actually picked up a gold chain in every direction where the Ctx e tracs and X cals wouldn’t even hear ..just like the Ctx when it was first released, it had a few issues minelab had to change and re do. I’m definitely interested in the equinox, but since it’s a new release, I think I can wait at least a year and see what people complain about or have actual problems with and see if anything has been updated... until then I will just keep using the one that I know is telling me !! Good luck with yours , hope you didn’t receive a lemon !!
    That's good advice Tom. When I switched to my e-trac from the ace 250 I remember it was like learning a new language. But the e-trac had been out a couple years so I imagine all the bugs had been worked out by then.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Good luck with the issues Drew , that sucks !

Geeze, that's a crappy start. I hope you get it sorted out quickly.

The 3030 (before I sold it) and Equinox sound a lot different than the Deus and it takes me a bit to get in the right mind frame when I haven't used one of them in a while.

For my first few hunts with the Equinox, I took it to a heavily hunted farm field. It let me ease into her and gave me good signs when I popped 12 buttons and an Indian from the site.

You can adjust the tones on the Equinox (800 for sure, not certain about 600) to make them sound like your other machine which might help flatten the learning curve for you.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

LOL. Drew when you are learning to drive a car, you don't start by going to downtown Manhattan I am sure you will learn the new machine soon enough and I am sure it will be a fine machine. To be honest....I pretty much did the same thing when I first got my Deus
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

You'll get it down Drew, I'm sure of it. I'd definitely take it to an easy-peasy place to start just to learn the simple signals (a community park or tot lot so as to nab some shallow zincolns/nickels, clad etc). That should get you on more solid footing. Then graduate upwards from there. Good luck!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

I got one coming some time hope it gets better for you
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MX Sport

Hope the issue is fixed soon Drew and you get another chance to "learn the language" of your new machine , please keep us informed . I'm very interested in hearing about it .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Are you trying to say "old dog new trick". Sorry couldn't resist.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Are you trying to say "old dog new trick". Sorry couldn't resist.
    Thanks, bud! ...and thanks eveyone!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew