Thread: First relics of the year include a nice LC

First relics of the year include a nice LC

Hi all. Well, the itch finally got to me last weekend, and with only patches of snow on the ground (we largely missed the big storm last week) my hunting friend Joe from Green Mountain Diggers and I decided to hit a few permissions I recently got. We braved the 35 degree temperatures and winds long enough to pull a few relics and coins. Well Joe mainly found the coins (3 LCs, sorry - no pics) as I got skunked in that category. Anyways, I did manage several buttons including a nice mid to late 1800s two piece hunting button with two pheasants on the front. Also nabbed a few buttons and yet another small crotal bell. After work today I headed back out for just a 1 1/2 hour hunt before sunset as this time we're on track to receive a foot of snow tomorrow night and Thursday. Ugh. Managed to pull a few more buttons from the muck and a really nice looking 1846 largie (small date variety). Also dug what I'm calling a colonial mouth guard (heap of lead). All the LCs came from my virgin site I first posted about last December. This makes 9 coppers from an area no larger than 30X30 yards. Can't wait to get back there once our future snow melts and the muck dries out a bit. The wife was aghast at the muck on my windbreaker and jeans when I returned earlier this evening! HH everyone!

John

Name:  Wideshot.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  29.9 KBName:  LC obverse.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  38.5 KBName:  LC reverse.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  31.6 KBName:  Hunting button.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  34.2 KBName:  Buttons.jpg
Size:  36.8 KBName:  Crotal bell.jpg
Size:  23.8 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

That largie is in nice shape! I wish mine came out of the farm fields like that! Congrats!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Great looking finds! Always love to see complete crotal. Good looking largie and sweet buttons too. Well done!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Nice bunch of digs John. I've dug plenty of those colonial mouth guards myself. Super little crotal, great button and interesting LC. You have to wonder why it was holed in that particular spot ?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on finally scratching that itch. Very nice looking LC. Great group of buttons and your crotol bell is a complete one. Looking forward to seeing your post about your return visit to this site.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Didn't anyone tell you that we live in Northern Vermont, and we can't go MDing until after Mud Season?

You are an inspiration to us all, John!

I'm with the others...great digs, John! I just dug an 1845 largie that pales compared to that one. That crotal is the find of the hunts though!! Very impressive!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

WTG on the finds! It's always a great feeling when you dig a complete bell.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Some nice finds. That LC is in good shape for being in the ground for a long time. And that crotal bell is on my bucket list
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MX Sport

nice finds!
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    That largie is in nice shape! I wish mine came out of the farm fields like that! Congrats!
    Thanks Ken! Yeah, this site has a lot clay mixed in with the loam and on top of a hill (drains well). That's probably why most of the coppers come out of the ground looking really nice there.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Great looking finds! Always love to see complete crotal. Good looking largie and sweet buttons too. Well done!
    Thanks much! I certainly seem to be drawn to those crotals, as I've found quite a few over the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice bunch of digs John. I've dug plenty of those colonial mouth guards myself. Super little crotal, great button and interesting LC. You have to wonder why it was holed in that particular spot ?
    I thought the same Jeff. Weird why they would hole it on the side. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Congrats on finally scratching that itch. Very nice looking LC. Great group of buttons and your crotol bell is a complete one. Looking forward to seeing your post about your return visit to this site.
    Thanks Al. I'll definitely be back there. I also found two other very nice buttons that I somehow lost on my way back to the car before leaving, so those I'll be searching for when I return.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGC View Post
    Didn't anyone tell you that we live in Northern Vermont, and we can't go MDing until after Mud Season?

You are an inspiration to us all, John!
    Hey David! Hope winter has treated you well. We didn't get as much snow in the Champlain Valley this winter and the recent late winter thaws have laid the ground mainly bare here, that is until today as we're now coated in more of the white stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I'm with the others...great digs, John! I just dug an 1845 largie that pales compared to that one. That crotal is the find of the hunts though!! Very impressive!
    Hey Drew. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, as I mentioned to Ken that site drains really well so that's probably the reason why stuff is so preserved there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG on the finds! It's always a great feeling when you dig a complete bell.
    Thanks much. I've certainly been lucky in digging the crotals over the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Some nice finds. That LC is in good shape for being in the ground for a long time. And that crotal bell is on my bucket list
    Thanks Cooper!

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    nice finds!
    Thanks Calabash!

Full crotal and sharp looking largie! Nice hunt

Great start to your season John , bet it was sure nice to get out ! you're going to do well this year I can feel it ! congrats

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

real nice stuff, hope your pouch is full every time you go out

Nice finds! I found a similar button a few weeks ago.Name:  27540363_10211018218795019_2483184850392596182_n.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  56.3 KB
    XP Deus

Nice bunch of finds. that Largie looks to be in very nice shape.( they sure liked to put holes in them, didn't they?)
    The buttons are cool as well
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Oneil1979 View Post
    Full crotal and sharp looking largie! Nice hunt
    Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Great start to your season John , bet it was sure nice to get out ! you're going to do well this year I can feel it ! congrats

Dan
    Thanks Dan. Yeah, I'm feeling this year will be a decent one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
    real nice stuff, hope your pouch is full every time you go out
    Thanks Caretaker!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Nice finds! I found a similar button a few weeks ago.Name:  27540363_10211018218795019_2483184850392596182_n.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  56.3 KB
    Thanks Donny! Neat that you found the same button. Is the piece on the right part of it too? Mine was just a simple two piece back stamped Waterbury Button Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Nice bunch of finds. that Largie looks to be in very nice shape.( they sure liked to put holes in them, didn't they?)
    The buttons are cool as well
    Thanks Don. Yeah, holed LCs seem to be quite common, though this is only my second of those. Being a clean hole on the edge leads me to believe it was worn on a string, maybe as a part of a necklace or bracelet. House was gone by 1869 so everything at this site is really old. The LC is the newest of all the coins that I've found there.

Sorry I missed this ,great finds, I love the bell and LC, buttons are sweet too