Thread: Permission question

Permission question

Hey everyone! looks like a good site to be a part of. I'm very new to the detecting world, and love it. Eager to learn anything I can. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was just wondering about how you all go about asking for permissions to hunt. Do you have a certain line that you say, if knocking on a strangers door? I absolutely don't want to creep anyone out, and want to explain what I'm asking well. And also, do you guys ever tell people that you will give them all you find? or half? or don't mention it at all? Needing advice or pointers on how to approach someone that I don't necessarily know, to hunt their yard. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Moose
    Teknetics G2+

Hi Moose! Welcome to the group! I used the Tek T2 for years until just recently.
    As far as asking for permissions, the "Illinois gang" on our forum will chime in and let you know how it's done.

I only have to ask a few times a year as the properties are 50-100 acres around here. Personally I think asking permission is the worst part of our hobby. I dress up in work clothes, casual dockers, collar...then I tell the owner who I am (respected leader of our community ), then ask with the caveat I will give them everything I find. Nobody wants the things I find...some are interested in seeing the stuff but NOBODY wants it. Some say, "I got enough garbage" or "what am I gunna do with that?" Many people ask, "is it worth anything?" After I get permission I could show up literally 100 times over some years. Sometimes I become friends with the owner. That's the best part of our hobby! Good luck and look forward to hearing about your adventures!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hi Moose! Glad you joined the forum!

(Everyone, Moose is a good friend of mine so be nice to him! )

Knocking on doors of strangers is something I've been slow to warm up to myself. The reality is, most of the public spaces are becoming hunted out so hunting private property is becoming a necessity if you want to find the good stuff.

Everyone has a different opinion about sharing finds with the landowner. I detect for the thrill of finding the stuff, not the thrill of owning it, so I don't mind sharing with the property owner. Others may feel differently.

Here is a very good video about door knocking. Rusty is very knowledgeable about all aspects of detecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmeCnUKBd2g

Best of luck, Moose! We need to get together for a hunt soon!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Any friend of Tony's is a friend of mine. Yes the Illinois boys seem to have this door knocking thing down pat. Maybe I'm being a little cynical here but......people in different parts of the country have different attitudes.

Glad you joined us here and looking forward to seeing your finds. (we love pictures)
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Welcome to the sport. For me I hit up friends and family I haven't asked a lot of private home owners. Only been at this about a year, but seems when I'm at a friend's house and one of there friends See me they end up volunteering there property or they have a friend that has an old house. That how it's work for me so far. And about 50% of the people I work with have told me to come dig up there yard. So talk to friends and work mates .
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MX Sport

Welcome to the hobby and the forum moose, Like yourself more and more people are joining the hobby everyday as mentioned the easy stuff has already been found & the modern approach is to research on the internet or local libraries to find locations others have not ( hopfully the other is door knocking on complete strangers doors asking permission to detect. This can cause anxiety for some, the truth is it gets easier and easier as you do it more , especially after you get that yes and locate some amazing items! For me I try and treat it like a competition with myself, I hate the thought of passing on a house and another digger finding that gold coin!! I challenge myself to find these places before anyone else, I talk about the history of the area & ask about the history of the house, I show pictures of the items I found, like I said its competitive now a days, if you wont knock your run the risk someone else will, have fun with it be yourself & you will find your groove, good luck and happy hunting.

Welcome to the forum Moose! Since I'm one of those Illinois door-knockers I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion. Door knocking is all about selling yourself, not the detector. I probably get about 90% or more yesses when I ask. It wasn't always that easy though. It's like anything else, the more you practice, the better you get. Some days I am off my game and can't get a yes to save my life. Other days, I am on fire and my confidence is high. I have found it's a lot easier to get yesses if there are two of you versus just by yourself. I'm not sure why but folks seem to be more receptive when I say "My buddy and I." Maybe because they feel you're less likely to be a creeper? IDK. For me the most important thing when asking is to never break eye contact with the home owner. This implies sincerity. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thank you everyone. Super helpful. Great site to be a part of. I'll for sure have many more questions to come

I haven't door knocked much, but am 100% so far. I start off by introducing my name and where I live (if local knocking). I then start by saying that I am not selling anything, but have a potentially interesting question for you. Usually that gives people their first impression of you and their "guard" might be down a little. I say what I do for a living, but my passion in life is MDing. Would you mind if I detect your property? The properties I have done around me have some historical value and I state a few things like "I believe so and so lived here at one time". If I get to this point without a door slammed in the face, then it has been a "go" so far.

Keep in mind that there are people that just want to be left alone or think you will leave gopher holes all over the place. My last permission, I just got done with physical therapy, haven't shaved in a few days and looked like a lost dog and still got the yes. Just be yourself and show your passion for your hobby. I also state that I will give them anything I find. Like Tony, I do this for the thrill of finding, not keeping. I also found that people usually say that I would never have found it so keep everything, but if you find a gold ring with diamonds, let's split it.
    Last edited by badgers325; 08-03-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.