Thread: Treasure coast

Treasure coast

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has ever hunted the treasure coast area of Florida? I was thinking about vacationing down there once the work load settles down and I get the house back in order. Hoping to find out what it's like hunting there and if there's any special laws or regulations I need to watch out for, plus any pointers to help find some of that old gold nd silver from the Spanish treasure fleet. Thanks!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has ever hunted the treasure coast area of Florida? I was thinking about vacationing down there once the work load settles down and I get the house back in order. Hoping to find out what it's like hunting there and if there's any special laws or regulations I need to watch out for, plus any pointers to help find some of that old gold nd silver from the Spanish treasure fleet. Thanks!

I was actually just thinking about that myself. I have the fever after I found my cob lol.

Please share any info you happen to find. Thanks!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Update: I'm looking to head out towards the Sebastion/Melbourne area in May for about 18 days. I did find out that all the beaches are fair game to detect, but the dunes of course are off limits. Also many of the water areas directly around the known wrecks are leased to treasure hunters for exclusive salvage or treasure hunting rights.
    I did find a pretty comprehensive write-up with known beach find histories along with maps, directions, etc.
    http://www.mdhtalk.org/articles/beac...15-article.pdf
    From all I've read, this will be the perfect area for extensive use of my PI machine and can't wait to see how deep it hits on a salt water beach!
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 03-17-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Equipment:

Sounds like it will be fun! Have a great time!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Best of luck to you Digger .

Yes from what I heard wading out into the water is a no no but low tide can bring you out pretty far and yes that TDI sl will hit gold rings very deep ! my deepest gold ring in the wet sand has been almost 20 inches but I've had pull tabs and bobby pins well over that.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Yes from what I heard wading out into the water is a no no but low tide can bring you out pretty far and yes that TDI sl will hit gold rings very deep ! my deepest gold ring in the wet sand has been almost 20 inches but I've had pull tabs and bobby pins well over that.
    That was my hope, to hit deep! Apparently the CTX and high end PI are the machines of choice for this area. I expect my TDI will hit even deeper running nearly twice the stock power through the coil. From everything I've read, that area is the heaviest detected beach in the world, so I'll take any edge I can get. Wading is allowed except in the leased water areas, and that booklet I found luckily maps most of those out. Luckily the beach area where I'm staying has no public access for several miles in either direction which gives me a little more hope that it's far less detected so maybe I'll have a chance to find something good.
    Equipment:

Good luck with your hunt. I`ve found where the shells collect on the coast coins lay also.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Good luck with your hunt. I`ve found where the shells collect on the coast coins lay also.
    Thanks Robbie! Yes, from all the videos and research I've checked our so far it will be much the same as hunting my local beaches around Lake Michigan (minus the ice, of course! ) Looking for cuts, accumulations of shells and gravel, etc. for the best chances of the old stuff.
    Equipment: