Thread: Lower Number of Tones= More Depth?

Hybrid View

Lower Number of Tones= More Depth?

No work today as we've received 22in of snow. So, by lunch I had a question. Does the number of tone choices affect the depth...does the new EQX get the same depth across the tone number choices within Park 1 and 2 (and all-metal)?

The sens was 21 and the recovery was 3.
    I air tested a KG2, Rosie, 3 cm dandy button, and a 1909 IH. The average depth in inches of all these items is listed.

My findings-

Park1, 2 tones- 12.5(inch average)
    Park1, 5 tones- 11.4

Park2, 2 tones- 12.3
    Park2, 5 tones- 11.8

All Metal, 2 tones- 12.3
    5 tones- 12.3

Seems the 2 tones gets more depth than 5 tones. Is this a thing? Does this happen across all detectors? I always used 2+ tones on the T2 as it gives the shape and size of the objects, but I didn't know it gave more depth.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

By your testing, it would look like the less tones the more depth. I've noticed something similar on my CTX, though I never tested it. But from experience, I had tried getting to know the 50 tone setting and it just seemed like the deeper and iffy signals were much more pronounced with a 4 tone setting. My only way to explain it is that the processor takes more power to categorize the signal into many possible bins than only a couple, so has a possibility of missing weaker signals.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Well that seems kinda weird but maybe your tests are accurate. I prefer 50 tones so I hope that is not the case. I have had the Equinox for almost a week and have not used it yet except a few times in my test garden...weather has not be pretty here. But at least we do not have 2 feet of snow...feel sorry for those of you dealing with that mess!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

I did a re-test, only this time I added 50 tones, and I performed it in a sterile, sound proof lab Well, next to my furnace in the basement. I averaged the same four targets.

Park1
    2 tones- 12.4
    5 tones- 11.9
    50 tones-12.4

Park2
    2 tones- 12.6
    5 tones- 12.4
    50 tones-12.6
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Crunching the numbers Drew, I ran a standard deviation on the geometric mean of both sets of data. I then doubled the sum and derived the square root using the negative log function. The result is a median of 0.1758 inches. This is statistically negligible when you factor in the covariance using even-biased rounding with two significant figures.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Crunching the numbers Drew, I ran a standard deviation on the geometric mean of both sets of data. I then doubled the sum and derived the square root using the negative log function. The result is a median of 0.1758 inches. This is statistically negligible when you factor in the covariance using even-biased rounding with two significant figures.
    Yeah, what HE said! .....
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

So, I'm guessing the MDing community has already figured out there isn't much difference in depth between the number of tones???
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The depth of the modes (park 1,2, farm 1,2, etc) are really related to the recovery presets for that mode. Higher recovery = less depth. If you adjust the recovery and sensitivity to the same settings, it's almost exactly the same depth for any mode.

Hope that helps!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

I used recovery 3 in all modes... I guess there isn't differences when changing tone numbers within the same mode.
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 03-15-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Of course my math is suspect. But I agree with Ken. Recovery speed probably has more impact on depth than any other setting. Next time you get a good faint deep target using a low recovery speed, raise the recovery speed and watch that faint target disappear.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I knew about recovery speed and regularly change it when the situation warrants...but my question was if the tone-numbers had anything to do with depth?...and the answer seems to be no. Thanks for your help guys!
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 03-16-2018 at 06:00 AM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I also have my "Testing lab" in the basement next to the furnace. I actually use one of those plastic folding tables that I used a sharpie to mark off inches on the end of for coil testing. My wife was hardly perturbed with me.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime