Thread: England trip with Illdigger

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

England trip with Illdigger

I started planning my first trip to England 3-4 years ago. I told Tim (IllDigger) when I retire from the Fire Department I’m treating myself to a metal Detecting trip to England. I told Tim that he should join me or at least start thinking about it. Well I retired in March of 2017 and less than a year later we were on a flight to London for the first leg of our 10 day journey. We looked at all our options and chose to go on a guided tour with the Colchester Metal Detecting club. I’m happy we went the route we did, everything but a few days of the weather was perfect. Our guide Mindy was very knowledgeable and a pleasure to be around. In fact our whole group was a great bunch of Detectorist.

The area we were detecting in was Colchester, Essex County, England. It is a couple hours outside of London and one of the oldest Roman occupied areas in the country. There is 1000’s of years of history in the ground from the Celts, Romans & the English Middle Ages.

The club had thousands of exclusive acres secured for detecting. Some of these fields were huge and it was kind of overwhelming when you first arrived at a field. You just did not know where to start. We soon found out that you could put your coil just about anywhere over there and start finding cool old finds.

I had several find goals before I left. Number one was a gold coin. I did not find one but I got to live the feeling through Tim when he found his Celtic gold coin. I did manage a small gold pin so I wasn’t skunked with no gold.

Goal number 2 was a Roman coin. I surpassed that with 9 Roman coins and one was the find of a lifetime for me, a silver Roman.
    Here is a description of the coin from an expert.
    4thC Roman silver coin sent for ID
    This is a silique of Arcadius, 383-408 AD. It’s from the mint of Milan, 397-402 AD.
    D N ARCADIVS P F AVG -- VOT / X / MVLT XV // MDPS
    This is quite a decent piece”

Goal number 3 was a hammered silver coin, I found 2, one full and one cut half, and both were on the second day. Here is the ID ofthe full hammered.
    1216 Henry III hammered silver short cross pennyObv SREX***Rev .ON. LV - London mint
    It was a big relief to find them because I did not want to be the guy that did not find a hammered silver.

Lastly I wanted to find some cool old relics. I managed a variety but nothing that really stood out. I did find a handful of bale seals, couple clothing seals, a couple musket balls and one 3 ringer. Tim on the other hand, was the relic master with 3 or 4 nice relics.

One other notable coin was my only milled silver. It was an 1841 Two Annas which is from India. I also can’t forget the coppers. I found over 20 coppers, at least one is a King George, one is what they call a cart wheel, a big old copper. I’ll have do do some closer shots once I get them back and cleaned up a little.

It would not be right to not mention the last group of finds, THE BUTTONS!! Holy cow were there the buttons in the ground. I think I found between 150-200 with 6 or so unique ones.

Overall I was extremely pleased with my first experience detecting in England. I’m hooked big time and will definitely be going back in the next couple of years. I’m also very spoiled and don’t know how long it will take to get back to the Midwest mindset of metal Detecting 150-200 year old coins and relics.

A BIG thank you to Tim for coming along with me on this bucket list trip.

The Video Link https://youtu.be/1UcdITMoMa0
    Attached Images Attached Images                        
    Last edited by Fire Fighter 43; 04-03-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

WOW...great story. I'm sure it was a well deserved trip and again congrats on your retirement. Were any of your finds considered treasure and if so what is the process that those finds have to go thru? I see what you mean by a pile of buttons. How did it feel to dig your hammered? So now that you are spoiled with Roman, Middle Ages, Celtic.....how's that picnic grove looking.

Sounds like you and Tim had a great time (I can tell by the smile on Tim's face with the beer in hand) and I hope you can make a return trip. Thanks for posting this
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great trip !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

A trip to be very envious of Jeff , incredible treasures !! very nice summary
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great finds and a great post. Thanks for sharing!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Looks like you guys had a blast! We had snow our first day in the UK, but it melted by noon the 2nd day.

Congrats on your finds.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

ID up on the full hammered silver I found.
    1216 Henry III hammered silver short cross pennyObv SREX***Rev .ON. LV - London mint
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

My retirement will probably consist of detecting only in the US. Very jealous!

Elite Member
    Great photos and great trip. I am glad you are taking advantage of your retirement as many people do not. Congrats on all the great finds. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

What a great retirement gift to yourself! And all the success you had backs up the planning you did. Congratulations, retirement is awesome ( I'm 2 years into it ). Makes detecting a lot easier.

I've started this response 4 or 5 times. I don't even know how to respond. It was the time of my life! I can't thank you enough! I'm honored that you asked me to join you on this trip! I'll admit that 4 or 5 years ago when we first talked about it, I didn't really put much thought into it. I didn't really think it would happen, but ......WOW! Am I ever happy that it did! It was the time of my life!
    You found some really cool and amazing stuff! Your Arcadius Roman silver is just a show stopper! It was the most beautiful coin found during our trip if you ask me. The 2 Anna is a little cutie! And your first hammy, the Henry III....is sweet! It's all there, no chips , no bends , no cracks its not taco'd! The reverse is crisp! And very little wear on the obverse side! It just sucks that you got shorted out of 2 days of detecting. But like you said in your video, you didn't miss much on the second to last day but a little bit of wind burn and cold phalanges.

And so everyone on the forum knows we're going to change Jeff's forum name from Fire Fighter 43 to Roman Jeff!
    A little info on why; the first few days of our trip almost every field we hit Jeff found a Roman coin! I was starting to second guess myself, my equipment... everything! He was on fire for Roman!
    Awesome trip! I can't wait till the next time we go! Thanks brother !
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Nice going guys !! Great story and pictures . Way to go on following your dreams .

Incredible amount of finds, Jeff! I didn't realize you found that many coins! That pile of buttons is amazing...so many of those four holed pants buttons You must have been digging non-stop holes while you were there. Experience any of that coke we hear about?

I bet your news paper would be interested in the finds of a local guy "over there."
    I have to say, Jeff, I think I like the last pic best!
    Congrats on your wonderful trip!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    WOW...great story. I'm sure it was a well deserved trip and again congrats on your retirement. Were any of your finds considered treasure and if so what is the process that those finds have to go thru?
    I do not think any of our finds will be considered treasure. I know if an item is it is a long process through the British Museum before everything is settle. In the end the land owner and finder split whatever the item is sold for. I’m not that up on all the details of the process. Tim and I should receive all of our finds back by this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    How did it feel to dig your hammered? So now that you are spoiled with Roman, Middle Ages, Celtic.....how's that picnic grove looking.
    Digging my first hammered silver was just an amazing feeling. To hold something that old in your hand and wonder who held it last is just hard to descibe.
    The grove is still one of my favorite spots even though the finds have really slowed down. I hoping this new machine (Equinox 800) will reveal a few more keepers. I’m extremely spoiled after the trip but I’m slowly getting back to the Midwest mindset of detecting.
    Last edited by Fire Fighter 43; 04-07-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    And so everyone on the forum knows we're going to change Jeff's forum name from Fire Fighter 43 to Roman Jeff!

Awesome trip! I can't wait till the next time we go! Thanks brother !
    LOL!! I kind of like Roman Jeff. I agree, it was an Awesome trip and can’t wait until we do it again. Thanks for sharing it with me Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    You must have been digging non-stop holes while you were there. Experience any of that coke we hear about
    Most days you were digging 150-200 targets but everyone feels like your digging another amazing find. I only found a handful of coke, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I haven’t looked on the forum in awhile and now I see this! Jeff, congrats on your retirement last year! Amazing finds in England, WOW, don’t even know where to start, simply awesome! Looks like you and Tim had a great time!! Congrats!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token