Thread: A little faith restored

A little faith restored

I don't know if any of you go outside of this forum to get your fix and read of metal detecting finds or just absorb more information about machines or the latest buzz going around the "detecting community" ( I hope many of you do for a lot of reasons ) ! Some are ok , a small few are pretty good on the many types of media outlets to supply your interests but there are some that are just profit driven (which is ok if you know ahead of time and choose to still do so ) .

I personally visit a few different sites to stay a head of the "latest news " but I really hate the larger traditional type forums for a lot of reasons . Usually to much drama , swelled ego's and common forum trolls that their administrative staff doesn't discipline or "boot" from the site . Believe me when I tell you we have had a few on this forum but they didn't last to long as we don't put up with it. I stick to a couple of the smaller forums because of the tight , close nit members that are always on a more honest and friendlier level and I do check in a couple of facebook group pages (which for the most part has really grown in popularity and I think it has hurt many older forums , ours included ) , they seem to get more and more refined about metal detecting niches or related topics and it is very easy to be following way to many groups to where its just information overload at times . Alas even these groups can get very "clicky" and the drama is just plain stupid at times , I've removed myself from many for this reason and regretfully even lost a detecting partner over it. My "Creed" has always been to try and help others if I can and a weakness to bullies ( I hate'em and I can be absolutely ruthless to them when defending someone from them) , needless to say this has gotten me in trouble in the past and even disliked by many in the hobby !

I just joined a new club tonight Awesome Relics New England Name:  29597556_10216005827722837_6738398981562145317_n.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  92.9 KBboth a facebook group and traditional type metal detecting club headquartered in Brooklyn Connecticut , its ran by a great bunch of people who remind me a lot of the good , honest and enthusiastic people on here , they represent some of the best in this hobby . Doug Bowden (president) and his staff do an outstanding job for their membership and sponsoring club hunts (their big "famous" one is the annual Penquin hunt ) they host every February , this past one was around 300 people from all over the country . A seeded hunt (that usually don't interest me) where all the planted finds are donated by others and raffles are participated by all who donate a $20 detecting related gift , no money is collected at all for entry . I thought it was novel idea Anyways I thought it was worth stating and as a new member now I will be continuing to mention the notables and good work about this group and encourage anyone who "facebooks" to check them out .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I agree about the other sites. I'm quite picky who I hang around with, especially online. So far, this is the only forum site I've found to be well managed and have the most awesome members who all actively contribute to the site and support everyone else. I can only think of one other I've seen that shows promise, though I haven't had time to really check into it.
    Congrats on the new club! I'm sure you will have much to contribute especially with your extensive knowledge and passion for detecting. Plus there are countless benefits working with an organized group of like minded folk. Honestly, I wish there was a club in my area. I haven't given up hope of even getting one started here once things settle down a bit with work and some personal issues that have to be worked out.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Danny, Awesome Relics New England has gained an Awesome member! I'm happy for you, my friend! That was a great post and I agree with all points. It's so exciting to see the enthusiasm in Awesome Relics New England. It's a refreshing breath of air in the digging community to see people doing what they should be doing, making lifelong friendships and pursuing common interests. Well done, my friend. Again, I am so happy for you!
    XP Deus

Amen to that Dan. So much rudeness and disrespect these days. It is good to find something that is a reliable source of positivity...........Sort of like AD.

I'm sort of in your neck of the woods today (Waterbury). Saw a couple of spots that had me wishing I was detecting instead of working.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Candidate Member
    I do not post much on any forums simply because most do not make new member feel welcome at all but with that being said this forum has always made me feel welcome and it is greatly appreciated

I left three forums because of the vary thing I stated and have not returned since I do a lot of lurking on the ones I do view but will occasionally post if I think the info I provide can be of help to others that post thanks for the great site

Geesh...this is in my backyard...and I never heard of it!! Let me know when you attend a meeting!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Well written Dan, thanks!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Good to hear it Dan!
    Boy! That club just got a massively knowledgeable and genuinely great guy as a new member!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    I agree about the other sites. I'm quite picky who I hang around with, especially online. So far, this is the only forum site I've found to be well managed and have the most awesome members who all actively contribute to the site and support everyone else. I can only think of one other I've seen that shows promise, though I haven't had time to really check into it.
    Congrats on the new club! I'm sure you will have much to contribute especially with your extensive knowledge and passion for detecting. Plus there are countless benefits working with an organized group of like minded folk. Honestly, I wish there was a club in my area. I haven't given up hope of even getting one started here once things settle down a bit with work and some personal issues that have to be worked out.
    Chris , that's very kind of you to say . Doug's club is a very new one and they are very green at organizing/hosting it but their enthusiasm and determination at making it the best for their members outweighs any of the little honest mistakes they happen to make . Myself and the staff of moderators here appreciate your contribution/participation Chris , thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Danny, Awesome Relics New England has gained an Awesome member! I'm happy for you, my friend! That was a great post and I agree with all points. It's so exciting to see the enthusiasm in Awesome Relics New England. It's a refreshing breath of air in the digging community to see people doing what they should be doing, making lifelong friendships and pursuing common interests. Well done, my friend. Again, I am so happy for you!
    You sir probably know or read more into my original post than anyone here . Where I lost a detecting partner I gained an even better friend , Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Amen to that Dan. So much rudeness and disrespect these days. It is good to find something that is a reliable source of positivity...........Sort of like AD.

I'm sort of in your neck of the woods today (Waterbury). Saw a couple of spots that had me wishing I was detecting instead of working.
    Jeff , your presence on this forum has always been a positive an entertaining one , Thank you ! we have to get out together soon this year .

Quote Originally Posted by oldkoot View Post
    I do not post much on any forums simply because most do not make new member feel welcome at all but with that being said this forum has always made me feel welcome and it is greatly appreciated

I left three forums because of the vary thing I stated and have not returned since I do a lot of lurking on the ones I do view but will occasionally post if I think the info I provide can be of help to others that post thanks for the great site
    I'm glad we could make you feel comfortable and accepted here oldkoot , we still have many many "lurkers" and I wish we could make them feel that way too. Its odd (to me anyways ) at how much longer it can take to build "relationships" online to people who you never seen or actually met in real life but I can tell you it happens . There are many on here who here that I can kid around , joke with or poke fun at like family or close friend and when you do get to finally make it out to detect with them its a huge treat . Thank you for replying sir .

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Geesh...this is in my backyard...and I never heard of it!! Let me know when you attend a meeting!
    Yes it is ! They have them the first Tuesday of the month , I was lucky last Tuesday I had off to go and join . I'll shoot you a pm about the next one and If i'm able to attend Drew .

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Well written Dan, thanks!!
    Thank you Ron , we are still holding a moderator job for you when your ready !

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Good to hear it Dan!
    Boy! That club just got a massively knowledgeable and genuinely great guy as a new member!
    Thanks Tim , your to kind
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album