Thread: Return to the virgin early Vermont homestead - more old coins and great relics

Return to the virgin early Vermont homestead - more old coins and great relics

Good evening all. Well, it took another 30 days or so but the snow of our recent string of Nor'Easters has finally melted, allowing me to return for a full day's hunt at the virgin early Vermont homestead I discovered late last fall. The finds at this site generally range from 1780 to about the Civil War period, as the house was gone before 1870. I spent about 6 hours there yesterday and found some more nice relics, including an 1833 Matron LC and an unidentifiable copper. I'd like your help on that one - looks like a KG3 bust on the obverse and a smaller seated Brittania on the reverse, though the coin is heavily worn. It also has a reeded edge and is very thin, though rang up high (~ 80 VDI). Could it be a genuine British half penny or a Canadian token? I also dug a Rutland and Washington RR luggage tag dating generally from 1850-1865 and some sort of old religious medallion (lead/pewter) with a standing figure with a staff on the front, and Christ on a Cross on the reverse. Again, I have no clue on that one, and a lengthy search online last night didn't turn up a match, so give me a shout if you have any ideas. Wrapping up the finds were a host of buttons, a few buckles and a cool late colonial or early 1800s drawer knob. Thanks for looking and the video has been posted to the BTV Digger YouTube channel if you're interested (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2KYR33NeJjLAwgOLib30A/). I'm working with new video editing software (SONY Vegas Pro) and I'm slowly getting the hang of it with the help of my 17 year old son! HH!
    Name:  wideshot.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  30.4 KBName:  1883LC_obverse.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  22.1 KBName:  1833LC_reverse.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  22.9 KBName:  KG3_copper_obverse.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  21.0 KBName:  KG3_copper_reverse.jpg
Size:  20.4 KBName:  medal_obverse_1.jpg
Size:  29.0 KBName:  medal_reverse_2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  29.3 KBName:  Rutland_Washington_luggage_tag_2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  24.6 KBName:  button.jpg
Size:  21.7 KBName:  drawer_pull.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  22.6 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Glad to see you are not having to wait until June before you can get out and swing the coil John. Nice bunch of finds !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Lots of great finds, a.d congrats on finding that virgin site!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I don't think that KG is a KG. Just my thoughts.... congrats on your LC and other great keepers. RR tags are really cool as most can be identified as to RR and age.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great finds John !! That place is really starting to cough up the goodies !!well done
    The King George coin is an 1806 or 7 King George III Name:  coin-image-1_2_Penny-Copper-United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_and_Ireland_(1801_1922)-dxEKbzbigMMA.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  66.4 KB
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Great finds John !! That place is really starting to cough up the goodies !!well done
    The King George coin is an 1806 or 7 King George III Name:  coin-image-1_2_Penny-Copper-United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_and_Ireland_(1801_1922)-dxEKbzbigMMA.jpg
    As usual, Good call Dan!! Must of been pre-Bull head type Dan? I would've initially thought KG I with that small head.
    You found quite a few nice items there John! Specially the RR tag and the medal. Can you make out any of the writing around the edge on the medal? That's interesting for sure!
    Congrats on the goodies!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Glad to see you are not having to wait until June before you can get out and swing the coil John. Nice bunch of finds !
    Thanks Jeff. Yeah, looks like we've finally made the turn up here for more regular hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Lots of great finds, a.d congrats on finding that virgin site!
    Thanks! Definitely one of the best sites I've found so far in 4 years of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    I don't think that KG is a KG. Just my thoughts.... congrats on your LC and other great keepers. RR tags are really cool as most can be identified as to RR and age.....
    Agree on those RR tags Al. Just love researching the history of those old short track lines.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    You're the man Dan and I knew you'd come through for me! Thanks for the ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    As usual, Good call Dan!! Must of been pre-Bull head type Dan? I would've initially thought KG I with that small head.
    You found quite a few nice items there John! Specially the RR tag and the medal. Can you make out any of the writing around the edge on the medal? That's interesting for sure!
    Congrats on the goodies!
    Thanks much! The only writing I think I can make out (other than the random letters here and there) is the inscription of 10 or 18 June just below the hole on the obverse, and the letters VI, or VENC(E)? just to its left. That could be the end of the word Province, or Provence, though really just a guess. I'd love to eventually get an ID, but a search online show tons of those old religious medals.

Wonderful hunt, John!! Could that also be a Rutland and Whitehall tag? I just did a search and that came up too. I hope you find some info on that large copper. Good job on the video as well!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Wonderful hunt, John!! Could that also be a Rutland and Whitehall tag? I just did a search and that came up too. I hope you find some info on that large copper. Good job on the video as well!
    Thanks Drew! You know - it very well could be. The main reason I think it's a Rutland & Washington tag is that was a much bigger/longer line but admittedly that's just conjecture. The Rutland & Whitehall line was only about 7 miles long but did run longer, so I agree - you could plausibly make the case for either. So happy we can finally get back out detecting up here!

John

Hey John -
    What a great site!
    Could that be St. Christopher on the large medallion thing? He is the "patron saint of travelers" and is usually depicted with a staff and the Christ child on his back. It could also be the Angel Raphael (sometimes called Saint Raphael). He is supposed to guard pilgrims on a journey and is often pictured holding a staff.

Ground is still frozen up here in the NEK (at least where I am). Can't wait to get out there.
    Last edited by DavidGC; 04-08-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Man, that was a great hunt. I love to find buttons
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!