Thread: **UPDATED** 4th time hunting musket ball hill... Awesome relics!

**UPDATED** 4th time hunting musket ball hill... Awesome relics!

Hey diggers,
    Today after work I went back up to "my hill." It's only a half mile away so it takes about 2 minutes to drive there. I park at the bottom and then follow one of the hiking trails up the hill for a bit and then I leave the trail and start swinging the coil as I work uphill. I found a SUPER hot spot today! The targets were only 5 or 6 feet apart. I'm pretty sure this was a muster area but maybe for local citizens. I have not found any military related items but I have found over 70 musket balls!

The first good find of the evening was a very decorative watch winder. It has glass "stones" all around the edge. I'm hoping it's 1700s but I don't know how to determine the dates of watch winders. Next I hit 3 buttons in a row and then 2 buckles in a row! Oh boy was I stoked! The shoe buckle is very early (maybe late 1600s) and the other buckle I don't know what kind it is. Any ideas from you guys? Anyway, here's some pics and thanks for looking. HH, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Full Metal Digger; 04-13-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

That is a bunch of nice finds Dave...love that watch winder!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Slow down boy, your going to get yourself out of breath!!

You know me, Love the buttons! Any idea on their age?

Congrats on all the great finds, you're making me jealous!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

The shanks on those buttons makes me think they are very old. Both buckles would look good in anybody's collection. The watch winder is one of the fanciest ones I've ever seen. Great hunting and as Don said...breathe, exhale, breathe...and continue
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

The watch winder is stunning Dave and easily 1700's in my opinion The floral button I believe is military if i'm not mistaken
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    That is a bunch of nice finds Dave...love that watch winder!
    Thanks Tony. It looks to have gold gilt under that green so I will have to get some CLR to clean it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Love the buttons! Any idea on their age? Congrats on all the great finds, you're making me jealous!
    I think the buttons span from early 1700s to early 1800s. Odd that I'm not finding any two-piece buttons. Don't be jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    The shanks on those buttons makes me think they are very old. Both buckles would look good in anybody's collection. The watch winder is one of the fanciest ones I've ever seen. Great hunting and as Don said...breathe, exhale, breathe...and continue
    Thanks Al, it's really hard to relax knowing there are centuries worth of good finds all around me! I think those drilled shanks go back to the early 1700s but I could be wrong about that.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    The watch winder is stunning Dave and easily 1700's in my opinion The floral button I believe is military if i'm not mistaken
    Thanks Del, I'm starting to notice gold gilt showing through some of the verdigris so I will get some CLR to try to bring that out. Also, you are 100% correct about the Tudor rose button! I looked it up and it is British all day long! Now I just have to figure out how it got here!
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Thanks Del, I'm starting to notice gold gilt showing through some of the verdigris so I will get some CLR to try to bring that out. Also, you are 100% correct about the Tudor rose button! I looked it up and it is British all day long! Now I just have to figure out how it got here!
    It looks like it could be a match to some I've seen Dave the design is almost exact , these could date anywhere from 1740's to 1775 era , Lieutenant button
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow so many relics! Hope some more silver coins pop out of the ground for you.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Hey everyone,
    Here is the watch winder all cleaned up. It has a silver gilt center with gold gilt around the outside and glass "jewels." I also notice it has different cartouches on each side. I'm thinking this was a very special watch winder!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Terrific finds there. Was hoping to get out there to Connecticut this spring but didn't work out. Gonna have to try still before the years out. I here they are loaded with ol buttons for us Illinois folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Terrific finds there. Was hoping to get out there to Connecticut this spring but didn't work out. Gonna have to try still before the years out. I here they are loaded with ol buttons for us Illinois folks.
    Are they done with all their Nor'easters yet? I hope you and Don do get to make it out there this year.

Nor'easters BETTER be done

That is sooo many muskets, Dave! I was thinking maybe a shot tower, but those are a bigger caliber. Nice job!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I absolutely love the watch winder! I think we may have dug up the same buckle. I found this one a couple of weeks ago.Name:  29541687_10211399558488273_2738595024478327059_n.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  80.3 KB
    XP Deus