Thread: Old Nickels, Old Coppers,And A Couple Of Old Diggers!

Old Nickels, Old Coppers,And A Couple Of Old Diggers!

Monday and Tuesday were beautiful weather days in Southwest Ohio so we got out and tried to take advantage of them and get in some hunts before the fields are planted. On Monday we hit a field where I have done well in the past but nothing turned up there. So we went to another of our old sites to see if we could squeeze out a few keepers more. This field is difficult to hunt with power lines nearby and the most mineralized ground of any of our fields. The Deus kept showing a fluctuating ground reading and between that, despite adjustments and the power lines there was chatter that only went away when you came across a target. Difficult to hunt but not impossible, I dug a mashed thimble and some brass bits and then got a short mid tone between the iron and was pleasantly surprised to dig an 1876 Shield Nickel. I had just mentioned to Diane a few days before that I hadn’t dug a Shield Nickel for quite awhile. The 1876 was the last of the Circulation Strikes after that only proofs coins were minted. Diane a bit later dug an 1887 Indian Head so we were both on the board. We then went to a site I hadn’t hunted for quite awhile and to my amazement three steps into the field bam I got another Shield Nickel this time an 1867. My next target was an Eagle Button with a fair amount of gilt on it. Diane got a couple of buttons too.
    Tuesday was even warmer so we went to one of our fields that has given us great stuff every time we have gone there, but this time the signals have started drying up but I was happy with the two nice buttons I got and Diane also liked her buttons and thimble. We decided to go back to the field where I got my second Shield Nickel and we were glad we did. Diane started it off when she dug a Wheat Cent dated 191? while I was digging just some odd bits of brass and copper, and a part of a pocket knife . She then came over to me and said she had a big Copper but not a Large Cent and it turned out to be an 1857 Bank of Upper Canada Half Penny Token! Then she did it again with what was an1904 Indian. I guess that motivated me and I finally got a great signal and dug an 1845 Large Cent. A bit later I got a nice barrel tap followed up by an 1864 Indian Head. So I was very happy with our two days of detecting!
    Attached Images Attached Images                     
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Looks like those old diggers are tearing it up! Nice bunch of finds. Love the bank token.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Another successful hunt you two had. The weather has been wonderful here for the past two days but tomorrow RAIN. Congrats on your keepers,
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow Tony! Love those shield niks....still on my bucket list.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Lots and lots of great finds. Love that bank token!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Great finds and well photographed .I really like the red cloth backround , it has a great effect .Congrats !

Very nice assortment of finds. I'm partial to buttons and like your eagle. Indian wars, correct? Any backmark on it?
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    Very nice assortment of finds. I'm partial to buttons and like your eagle. Indian wars, correct? Any backmark on it?
    Yes Indian Wars period...no back mark....no back on it... fortunately the front piece is ok but the back is long gone!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Yes Indian Wars period...no back mark....no back on it... fortunately the front piece is ok but the back is long gone!
    I know the feeling. My last good button didn't have a back on it either. But, the front was a Georgia state seal!
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Nice goin' Tony!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Very nice haul Tony and Diane! Love all of the items. I dug the exact same Bank of Upper Canada Token a few years ago. They seem to be made of bronze and hold up nicer than many an LC.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Wow Tony, you guys cleaned up!! What didn't you find?
    Congrats on a bunch of awesome coins and relics!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    I know the feeling. My last good button didn't have a back on it either. But, the front was a Georgia state seal!
    Actually there is a back on it but pushed in when I said that I was thinking of another button. The back mark is Horstman Philidelphia

Nice haul for 2 days! I havnt dug a sheild nickle in awhile hmmm maybe next site, the bank half penny is cool and the eagle button is in good shape considering. Congrats

great finds!
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...