Thread: Large relic find update: it is 1715!

Large relic find update: it is 1715!

Hey all,
    Stopped at the McLarty museum this morning and spoke to the ranger (curator) about the find. Great news, he's certain it's from the 1715 wreck and thinks it may be a cluster of bar shot. His thought is that there could also be coins or other smaller items encased in the mass, and that I really need to get an x-ray done. That would verify what's at the core. Really stoked about this find, and hope I can find a place (affordable) to get the x-ray done.
    One thing that sort of helped us that one end broke off and now can easily see the cross section of the bar. Could be simple bar shot, but it looks more like the more rare expanding bar shot. Photos below for comparison.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Interesting ! I hope the weather eases off and you get some more opportunities to hunt .

Thanks! Weather was nice and was out all day. Found what seemed like a fishing lure graveyard. Pretty old ones too, made of brass mostly. But, I did run into another local detectorist yesterday. Basically the chances of finding any old coins are basically zero because of the 4 to 10 feet of replenished sand on top of all the beaches. Only chance might be after a big enough storm to wash the beaches down to their natural base layers. That's why there's been nobody out detecting. Word is detecting is dead here.
    Equipment:

That is a cool find. It might be cheaper to make an electrolysis unit than to get an x-ray.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

WOW! Wonderful recovery!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    That is a cool find. It might be cheaper to make an electrolysis unit than to get an x-ray.
    I can do the electrolysis free, already have everything I need. Problem here is it's already corroded through to the core in most places. Remove the rust and there won't be much of anything left, and I don't want to destroy it. Might be worth the xray if j can find someone to do it. Already sent out a quote request from company who does this type of work, but haven't gotten any reply.
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    I can do the electrolysis free, already have everything I need. Problem here is it's already corroded through to the core in most places. Remove the rust and there won't be much of anything left, and I don't want to destroy it. Might be worth the xray if j can find someone to do it. Already sent out a quote request from company who does this type of work, but haven't gotten any reply.
    That makes sense. I imagine it would be pricey but who knows, maybe it isn't that steep. I would be cool to see what's under the rust though.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."