Thread: NY Militia/CW Belt Plate!

NY Militia/CW Belt Plate!

Saw they'd cut a hay field I have permission for and had yet to hit this spring. Farmer said it had been heavily metal detected through the years and true to form there were only limited targets. I did pull a nice ornate coat button with a flower pattern, then got a screamer at 8 inches that I almost didn't dig (thought it was another can). Nope. New York militia/Civil War belt plate baby! I still can't believe it. At least I think it's CW - experts please chime in. Thanks for looking.

John

Name:  combo shot.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  30.0 KBName:  belt plate.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  40.4 KBName:  button.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  33.7 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

What a nice looking plate you got there John. Congrats!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Simply beautiful plate! I would get that restored in a heartbeat! Congrats on finding such a great relic where others have failed. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Wow John, awesome find! It's also frosting on the cake to pull something like that from someplace that's been hunted to death already. Makes you wonder how the heck did they miss it?
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Beautiful belt plate! Please post a picture of the back. I think it is earlier than the civil war but could have seen action in the war. That plate was manufactured around 1850. It should be about 2.2X3.1 inches and weigh about 1 1/2 ounces.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Beautiful Plate! Congratulations! I could look it up in my book. Can I see a photo of the back?
    XP Deus

Holy Moly! Or something like that! Awesome job. Congrats!

Thanks a lot guys! Here's a shot of the reverse. Should have included it from the start.

Name:  IMG_1693.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  82.1 KB

What a spectacular belt plate John you couldn't ask for better patina coloration !! The plate is a New York Militia from 1850 to 1860 (definitely Civil War era ) The design is a rendition of the 1777 New York coat of arms with Liberty and justice supporting a shield containing a sunrise over the Hudson river. Its rays blanket the entire background while an eagle crest is perched on a globe overhead. The banner of the state's motto "Excelsior" is draped around the lower part of the shield .

Great find John !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

What a wonderful piece of history! That metal held up really well in the soil. Way to find an amazing relic that everyone else missed!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Can't beat that!! Wonderful, John!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    What a spectacular belt plate John you couldn't ask for better patina coloration !! The plate is a New York Militia from 1850 to 1860 (definitely Civil War era ) The design is a rendition of the 1777 New York coat of arms with Liberty and justice supporting a shield containing a sunrise over the Hudson river. Its rays blanket the entire background while an eagle crest is perched on a globe overhead. The banner of the state's motto "Excelsior" is draped around the lower part of the shield .

Great find John !

Dan
    Thanks for such detailed information Dan! I knew you'd have more background info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    What a wonderful piece of history! That metal held up really well in the soil. Way to find an amazing relic that everyone else missed!

Thanks Tony! Yeah, all I did was to use a fine wire brush with warm water and it came out looking about as good as I could hope for. As you can see there's a big plow blade slash in it, but I like it just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by chief5709 View Post
    Thanks Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Can't beat that!! Wonderful, John!!
    Nope. That's my find of the year Drew. Thanks!

I would restore it and then be very tempted to actually wear it. It would look very cool with a worn out pair of Bluejeans.

What a beautiful piece of American history!! I kinda like it the way it is. Adds character!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

WOW what a find. John you did real good digging that one. Really consider getting it restored.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

John -You are killing' it this year! Congrats.
    If everyone who was in that field missed something that big, I bet there's other stuff still waiting to be found.

that is a great find!
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I would restore it and then be very tempted to actually wear it. It would look very cool with a worn out pair of Bluejeans.
    Ha ha. Interesting thought! I think I'm gonna leave it as is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    What a beautiful piece of American history!! I kinda like it the way it is. Adds character!
    Thanks Don! I still can't believe I dug it. Almost doesn't seem real...sorta like some of those big silvers you've been digging.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    WOW what a find. John you did real good digging that one. Really consider getting it restored.
    Thanks Al! Yeah, I'm not sure I'll get it restored. I sorta like it just the way it is with the plow cut and all.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGC View Post
    John -You are killing' it this year! Congrats.
    If everyone who was in that field missed something that big, I bet there's other stuff still waiting to be found.
    Thanks David! The field has been metal detected by a guy multiple times so says the farmer. There actually weren't many good targets there, though lots of iron. The signal sounded like a deep can but as I came off the target the sound didn't give that customary squelch that a can does...it was more clean. That convinced me just enough to give it a shot and dig. So glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    that is a great find!
    Thanks Calabash!