Thread: Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

I'm Jim but my friends call me mack. I don't own a metal detector but want to buy and learn. Plus I have a one year contract to work in Indonesia. So I was going to buy and take a metal detector, pointer or some other stuff with me. I won't have a lot room in my luggage to pack large heavy items. I'll be working in remote locations so I'll focus the hunting on rivers. If anyone would care to share recommendations or experiences, I would appreciate everyone's recommendations very much.
    Thank you and look forward to posting in the future once I'm on the ground there.

Hi Mack and welcome to a great forum. I'm betting the beaches in Indonesia are just brimming with lost gold rings and necklaces! Hopefully someone on here will have some good advice for you. Best wishes and happy hunting, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks Dave for the welcome. Anyone here venture to Indonesia?

Welcome, Mack! A good friend of mine goes to Indonesia about once a year. He is a professor and does research there. I agree with Dave in that there must be many beaches full of jewelry. Also, I hope you find some places where people dropped coins and hasn't yet seen a metal detector! I'm looking forward to your finds from that area of the world!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks Drew for the encouragement and I'll try to keep the forum up to date depending on internet access. I plan on searching rivers with a waterproof detector equipment and eventually use a sluice box which I will have to learn to build and use. Mack

Hello Mack. Just be sure to check the detecting laws. We don't want to see you posting from some hell hole of a prison
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    We don't want to see you posting from some hell hole of a prison
    Sounds like a CBS movie of the week to me! (deep voice) Tonight at 8 p.m.... What started as a simple treasure hunt turned into 7 years of hell inside an Indonesian prison. Starring Tom Hanks and Sydney Poitier.
    Last edited by Full Metal Digger; 07-31-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Hello Mack and welcome to the foum , are you specifically looking just for gold or jewelry and are rivers/ponds are the only places your detecting in ?

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I was there a few years ago and went with a local friend to in the mountains, while we were driving around, we passed a few rivers. One caught our eyes and since we we were using a 4x4 we ventured down a dirt road to find a couple excavators working a river bank and dumping the tailings into a large vibrating tiered shaker table. The guys working the river showed us a few shaker pads and you could clearly see nuggets trapped in the pads. And they were working the lower part of the river. They also indicated there was no one above them.
    So since I'm going back to Indo to work this time, I decided to take along some gear to check out the river. Mind you, the river is a separate air flight some 6 hours away from where I'll be. Unfortunately for me, time is not on myside and I need to pull the trigger soon bearing in mind if the gear doesn't work, there's no repair shops down the street, hahaha. And I don't have a lot of room in my luggage, So any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Welcome and best of luck on your quest. Hope you can make your decision on a detector and other equipment. to make more room for the equipment, I think most of us would leave our work cloths at home.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Mack, we all have our biases when it comes to what detectors we like to use. I am a fan of the Deus. I think where it might suit your needs in particular is that it is light and compact. And with the ability to put the wireless controller in your pocket for safe keeping, there isn't much danger of breaking something. Get yourself a High Frequency search coil and you can hunt for anything from coins to jewelry and gold nuggets.

There are specialized gold detectors out there if that is what you really have in mind. But that is not my forte.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Daddy Digger - That is funny stuff! Needed a laugh today.
    Last edited by badgers325; 08-02-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: mistake
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Welcome to the site!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com