Thread: Capped Bust Half Cent and other relics

Capped Bust Half Cent and other relics

Hi folks! We've finally had a break in the heat over the past few days (75 to 80 as opposed to 85 to 90) so headed out today to some fairly remote cellars. They're actually only 10 miles or so from my house, but a solid 3 mile walk in from the trail head. Not on any maps - just GPS'ed them on my phone. Finds were slow but steady and managed to pull a no date Capped Bust Half Cent and a wiped colonial copper at 10" along the old cart road. Also dug a lead pipe bowl and 1 1/2 crotal bells, actually 1 3/4. That huge flat piece at bottom is a flattened part of a ginormous one. Thing must have been the size of a baseball. Also dug a few buttons/buckles and a cool very old piece of bridle or horse tack (the double looped thingy). Experts, please chime in on an ID if you have time. I recall Drew or another forum regular post one of these in the past year. Heartbreaker of the day was some sort of pie-shaped machine tag at 5". Was sure it was my first quarter cut 8 Reale. HH!

John

Name:  Wide shot.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  19.6 KBName:  Half cent obverse.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  27.1 KBName:  Half cent reverse.jpg
Size:  28.8 KBName:  lead pipe bowl.jpg
Size:  20.4 KBName:  crotal bell.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  23.2 KB
    Last edited by BTV Digger; 08-12-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

I wonder If that lead pipe bowl caused any brain damage to the smoker John . 1 and 3/4 crotals is almost a conastoga. So it appears you are back on track in that category

That Classic Head half cent is a great find. Any half cent is a great find! Whoever made that machine tag in that shape really should be shot. That's just not right.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Hey John, Jeff is so right about the 1/2 cents being a great find. Sure would have liked to have seen that huge crotal bell piece connected to the rest of it....its HUGE. Your horse tack piece is a gag loop. I was the one who posted a couple from the golf course and Drew was the member who gave me the ID on it. Great hunting...
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Awesome half cent! I like the pipe too.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats on the Classic Head Half Cent! (1809-1836) They sure don't turn up very often. That is a scarce find for a detectorist, although the coins themselves are relatively common.

Al correctly ID'd your horse tack item as a gag loop.

Good job tracking down those productive detecting spots!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That's a pretty nice half cent! Lead/pewter pipe bowls aren't very common either. Your style I would say is definitely colonial era.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Very nice !
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

So productive, John!!! Covered all the bases...relics, coins, even a pipe! I've yet to find even a piece of a pipe. That half cent is in better shape than any I've found. 3 miles!!?? That's too far for me
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I wonder If that lead pipe bowl caused any brain damage to the smoker John . 1 and 3/4 crotals is almost a conastoga. So it appears you are back on track in that category

That Classic Head half cent is a great find. Any half cent is a great find! Whoever made that machine tag in that shape really should be shot. That's just not right.
    Thanks Jeff. As a quick side note, and just for you, I headed back out to the site again today for a few hours and pulled this little beauty. Just had to show ya'!
    Name:  small conestoga.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  11.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Hey John, Jeff is so right about the 1/2 cents being a great find. Sure would have liked to have seen that huge crotal bell piece connected to the rest of it....its HUGE. Your horse tack piece is a gag loop. I was the one who posted a couple from the golf course and Drew was the member who gave me the ID on it. Great hunting...
    Hey thanks Al! A Gag Loop. Now I know. I knew it was one of you guys that found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Awesome half cent! I like the pipe too.
    Thanks Jared!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Congrats on the Classic Head Half Cent! (1809-1836) They sure don't turn up very often. That is a scarce find for a detectorist, although the coins themselves are relatively common.

Al correctly ID'd your horse tack item as a gag loop.

Good job tracking down those productive detecting spots!

Thanks for the nice comments Tony. After some gentle additional toothpicking I was able to get a date - 1832. It's a Cohen Variety 1, or "Accessory E" style. More here: http://www.coinfacts.com/half_cents/...f_cent_c01.htm.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    That's a pretty nice half cent! Lead/pewter pipe bowls aren't very common either. Your style I would say is definitely colonial era.
    Thanks! I have to imagine there would have been a wooden handle extending from the lead portion of the pipe. Otherwise I don't see how the thing wouldn't get way too hot to handle pretty quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    Very nice !
    Thanks Calabash!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    So productive, John!!! Covered all the bases...relics, coins, even a pipe! I've yet to find even a piece of a pipe. That half cent is in better shape than any I've found. 3 miles!!?? That's too far for me
    Thanks Drew! Yeah, I went through 3 t-shirts - sweated my butt off! When you find relics like we do, it's worth it though! Other than one clay pipe stem that's my only other pipe frag too. I've been lucky to find 2 half cents this year. Fairly common for collectors as Tony says, but uncommon to dig them.
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Beautiful Half Cent!
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Thanks Jeff. As a quick side note, and just for you, I headed back out to the site again today for a few hours and pulled this little beauty. Just had to show ya'!
    Name:  small conestoga.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  11.7 KB

That's just not fair John
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Great looking half cent, congrats!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Congrats on that Half Cent !!!
    Excellent find!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos