Thread: My August finds...a busket lister.

My August finds...a busket lister.

August ended up being AMAZING for me but the first 3 weeks were some of the slowest detecting days I have experienced in years. I think all that I found were a handful of wheats, a buff and 1 war nickel.

But that soon changed. Before I went on vacation I found a silver Rosie, the heel plate with the heart shape ( late 1800's probably) and the silver cap thingy. It is not marked but it tests sterling.

While on vacation I also dug a couple Indians including an 1880 that is squished a bit and the sterling pin. Also found a couple musket balls up there but not at the button site.

Name:  warrosie.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  52.1 KB
    Name:  relics.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  77.4 KB
    Name:  silver bling.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  41.6 KB

Here is the pile of War of 1812 buttons I have already posted in the relics section. BTV Digger asked for a pic of everything...I think this will do nicely.

Name:  pile.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  79.7 KB

Then a couple days ago I went to a very old spot and found a bucket lister for me. A beautiful 1868 Shield Nickel. I was very happy to see it.

Name:  Shield dirt.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  CWshield.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  82.1 KB
    Name:  CW.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  138.2 KB

In the pic with it is a CW store token I found in a field next to my home. It states "Scotch Store Dry Goods and Millinery Detroit Michigan" on one side and then "Campbell Linn & Co. Business Card"

Then yesterday I had an hour to kill before work and so I went to a near by park. I opened my trunk and saw the Etrac sitting there all sad. I guessed it was upset that I had not taken it out for awhile and that I had been "bashing" it on the forum. I told it "we can still be friends and I promise to use you once in awhile still." So I grabbed it and the two us strolled to an area of the park that I have done extremely well in and noticed that the city had cleared away some brush. "Here is your chance to shine like old times" I told the Etrac. The Etrac made the most of the hour we had together...1957 Washington, 1941 KG6 Canadian dime and 4 wheats. We needed that one on one time.

Name:  etrac.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  42.0 KB

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 08-31-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

The shield nickel looks great! They don't usually come out of the ground looking so good. The heel plate is from a Union soldier's riding boot. I think most of them were used for many years after the CW until they just plain wore out. Congrats again on the button pile. Maybe someday I will be able to find such nice buttons! Best wishes and happy hunting, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Nicely Done!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice finds looks like a good hunt
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MX Sport

Nice hunt, I am searching for a heal plate myself, I wonder if the silver item is the end of a Cane? What does the reverse look like? The scripted PILE of 1812 buttons is nice too I guess congrats

Lots of great finds! That shield nickel is a beauty for a bucket list find. Still looking for mine.... Nice that you got some silver too. Detecting here in Wisconsin is pretty bad right now with the flooding we had. Over a foot of rain in some areas! Ground is so wet it gushes water when you walk. Cant even think about water hunting. Even have the lakefront shut down for the Harley 115th anniversary events this week. But could be a good hunt come Monday there if the rain holds off.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Nicely done....that pile of buttons should get into eastern and western treasures!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That's a good detecting month! All kinds of finds. I've never found a shield nickel or Silver Canadian dime so great stuff there.

Congrats on the shield nickel and other the great finds pictured.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

I find myself half in a trance just staring at that pile of buttons. They are mesmerizing for sure!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

As everyone else has stated...I also am still searching for a shield nickle. Congrats on yours. OxShoeDrew has the right idea. You should submit that to Western and Eastern Treasure magazine. They might want to do a whole story. By the way I am still in awe of those buttons....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Good times with a old friend! The Etrac did great!
    You shouldn't bash it any more.

You had one heck of a month there Jared! The pile of buttons you and the kids dug are just off the charts! That's a couple peoples lifetime achievements! And you guys got them all in a weekend That's crazy cool!
    But that wasn't enough for you. You scratched one off the bucket list too with a shield nickel!

That's a great month man! Congrats!

How big is the silver do-dad next to the broach? It looks like a silver doorknob! But that would be a massive sized broach then.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Good times with a old friend! The Etrac did great!
    You shouldn't bash it any more.

How big is the silver do-dad next to the broach? It looks like a silver doorknob! But that would be a massive sized broach then.
    Yeah making up with the Etrac was fun. The silver thing is about the size of a half dollar and might go on the end of the handle of a cane. But I would think it would be monogrammed if that was the case and it is not so I am not sure what it is.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    You should submit that to Western and Eastern Treasure magazine. They might want to do a whole story. By the way I am still in awe of those buttons....
    A couple of you guys have mentioned that but I am not sure I want to do that. I have never read that magazine so I know nothing about it. Also I did not find the site originally so to "clean up" that place after someone else found it and then put that story in a magazine is awkward to me. I would also assume I would need to give some background to the site and doing that in a magazine like that may not be wise...poachers might figure things out. Even though I did not poach this site I still kinda feel like I did so I do not want to make a big deal about it...except to you guys maybe.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Congrats on the bucket list Shield Nickel! That is a nice example too! They aren't real easy to find.

I really like the eagle button that has a lot of gilt left on it as well. It is a beauty!

So many great finds for you lately! KEEP IT UP!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg