Thread: September 2018 UK Tour

September 2018 UK Tour

I just got back from my second 2018 UK tour. I found three hammered coins again this time, including a King John I (1199-1216) and a Queen Elizabeth I Penny (1570s '/ double struck). One of my best relics was a quarter of an ounce round trade weight of James 1st circa 1603-25. The weight is of the 'stacking cup' type. The upper has the following stamped marks, the sword of St Paul, an ewer (the London Founders mark), and a crowned 'I' to denote James 1st. Below is a collage I created highlighting the trip.

Name:  MDH Sept Trip.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  120.4 KB
    Name:  qe.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  102.9 KB
    Name:  tradeweight.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  83.4 KB
    Name:  kingjohn.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  91.8 KB
    Last edited by Ken C; 09-25-2018 at 06:39 AM.
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)
    Deus II / Equinox 900 - Personal website: www.Detectorist.com

Looks like you did really well! Great job with the collage of pics. Do you go over there with one of those vacation outfits that get you permissions too? That would be tempting to do.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Looks like you did really well! Great job with the collage of pics. Do you go over there with one of those vacation outfits that get you permissions too? That would be tempting to do.
    Yes, it was with www.MetalDetectingHolidays.com and I'll be returning in September 2019. They are booked solid until then. It would be great to dig in the UK with people I'm on a forum with!
    -------------------
    Oldest coin: Roman Silver Denarius (Titus) 79-81 AD / Oldest US coin: 1786-1788 NJ Copper (x4)
    Best relics: Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s) / 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button (x2)

Ken,
    I am toying with the idea of getting over to England for one of these hunts myself. Perhaps I can time it to coincide with one of your trips. Maybe ILL Digger or Digger Don can come too.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Ken,
    I am toying with the idea of getting over to England for one of these hunts myself. Perhaps I can time it to coincide with one of your trips. Maybe ILL Digger or Digger Don can come too.
    That would be really cool. There are 3-4 spots open in the Sept 2019 tour, which was just added when I was there. It fills up fast. Shout if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.
    -------------------

Great hunting! A trip like that is certainly on my bucket list! Maybe we should start putting together an AD group hunt there for a couple years out. Allow folks to bank some vacation funds and have room for everyone who might want to go.
    In the mean time, I'm still trying to make an east coast trip, maybe with the Illinois boys!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Oh man!! That's a cool collage Ken! You found some cool stuff! The trade weight is really sweet! Of course silver, hammies ,and gold are the goal. And you picked up some nice pieces!

Congrats!!

I fly out in 23 days for my second go at the English county side!! I'm chomping at the bit!!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Very nice Ken. John the 1st...geezums that's old! Love the collage and congrats on more hammered sir!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Ya gotta love hammered coins. You just gotta!
    XP Deus

Thanks everyone. It was a fun trip. Hopefully everyone gets to try it at least once in their life.
    -------------------

Great story and pictures. Congrats on getting some more hammered and all the other goodies. I can't even imagine the thrill of getting a hammered......
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album