Thread: Newbie with MXT

Hybrid View

Newbie with MXT

I’m new bought this MXT with 2 coils Eclipse 950 and 5.3 does it matter which one to start with I’ve played with both and I can find trash 🤡 or does it matter which would be best for a rookie Thanks

Sorry, I'm not familiar with your machine, but if you want to start finding good coins and relics, Location is the key!!!!
    Look for the older houses and parks.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I’ve located a couple spots where a couple old houses were tore down 25 years ago also thought about hitting the grass area between sidewalk and street in our town

Sounds like you're on the right track. I look forward to your posts and welcome to the group!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Curb strips can be a great place find old coins. The bigger coil will go a bit deeper than the smaller one which can be a good thing. The smaller one is usually best for the trashy areas where you want to find the good stuff in between the trash targets.

Best advice I received when I started was to swing slow and keep your coil low.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Hello ss426.

Welcome aboard and to a great hobby ( may be profession?).

To me the MXT is one of the best all purpose turn on and go detectors in the market, even if it has it's years.
    I for mine would start with the std. 950 ish coil and use the small one in trashy areas littered with man made iron.
    Think you'll hit the goodies in very short time and looking forward to your posts about them.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

I consider the 5.3 Eclipse to be the best all around coil for the MXT. Maybe 950 for field work with wide open spaces.

Welcome to the world of the White's MXT! I would start with the concentric coil (950.) Get the feel of the machine with the way White's originally released it. The 6x9 Eclipse is a good DD coil to start with as well. Hit some playgrounds and learn the feel. This is a very powerful relics machine, but will do well for coin shooting. The important thing is to swing a bit slower as your new MXT has an incrediblely fast recovery time and you will find your headphones flooded with sound which you will find overwelming until you learn the concept of a repeatable response from a target. Once you can seperate out all the ground noise, EMI, and trash this synphony of sound will mean a lot more to you and you will be able to pick out the good targets more readily. Don't be in a hurry! You have yourself one of the most powerful single frequency machines on the market. The ground tracking ability is still one of the most advanced even after all these years. Most of all have fun, and enjoy. You will be finding some amazing things in your journey with this machine. When you pull that first Silver out of the ground... stop and think about why you just dug a keeper out of the ground that has held it captive for so many years. Good luck!

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer