Thread: I may be crazy, bought rare 1861 book!

I may be crazy, bought rare 1861 book!

Hi all,
    Well, I went out on a limb today and ordered a rare first edition 1861 book: Chronicles of Milwaukee. First reason was for my historical research and lecture assignment at the museum. I'm assigned to do a presentation and window interpretation of one of Milwaukee's founding fathers-Solomon Juneau-shown in a display at his trading post.
    I quickly found that much of the popular beliefs about his life and activities are either misleading or just wrong. But this book should shed light on the subject as it's supposed to have tons of material from his first hand accounts given to the author. Wow!
    But on the detecting side of things I should also be able to expose so much more of the lost history of the area which may present a lot more hunting opportunities. I'll post again if that theory pans out! In the mean time, heres the link describing the book:

https://www.abaa.org/book/1130736064
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

I love old books like that. Hopefully, there will be many interesting things in it which will give you clues for future hunting sites. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I got the book and have been reading the past couple days. So far I've made a couple discoveries that could really pay off. The main one is that I think I discovered the probable location of the first permanent trading post here in Milwaukee!, which dates from the 1790s to about 1820.
    There is a marker currently at a site in a park saying it was the location, and had a reproduction cabin built on that site around the 1920s to the 40s. But, according to this book, it tells about the location with the building still standing. It also names the landowner at that time, which places it about 1/2 mile Northwest of the marker. This area is now park land and accessible, so planning on doing some swinging there in a couple days. If I'm lucky, may find Indian artifacts or colonial era items or coins.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America