Thread: Yesterday's old coins and relics - plus a heart stopping moment

Yesterday's old coins and relics - plus a heart stopping moment

Hi folks. Here's my finds from yesterday at a new permission site. 3 coins - a decent 1775 KG 3 with nice green patina, a no date earlier style Matron LC and a fairly decent '65 IH. Got about 8 buttons, a few with nice floral patterns, musket ball, crotal bell, heart shaped heel plate and my first complete bat wing buckle. I've yet to educate myself fully to determine whether these 1770s KG3s are American counterfeits or the real deal. Seems 1775 could be both. Also, what is the approximate date for those bat wings? Late 1700s?

Now for my troubling moment. After I returned home yesterday evening, I realized I was missing my gold wedding band!!! I had it refitted a few months back and it's a little on the loose side now. Short end of the story - I went back and viewed my video shots to determine when I had the ring on and then when I didn't. This narrowed the search area down quite a bit as I was only in one field and most of my holes were in an approximate 50 yd X 50 yd square area within close proximity to my car. So I returned to the field with this in mind today and found the ring in about 30 minutes. WHEW!!!! Crisis avoided and lesson learned. I'm gonna remove the ring before hunting from now on. Thanks for looking and HH!

John

Name:  Wide shot 2.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  38.3 KBName:  KG3 combo.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  25.9 KBName:  Matron combo.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  25.2 KBName:  IH 1865 combo.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  28.2 KBName:  Buttons.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  31.7 KBName:  Misc.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  28.9 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Another great hunt. What did your KG ring up as? My counterfeits on the V3i ring up aroung 55 where a genuine kG is around 78-82.

Good job on the ring recovery.......whew
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

What a great bunch of finds. A little bit of everything!
    I'm happy to hear that you recovered your ring. FIND OF THE Day
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great finds! And big congrats on finding your ring. Hey that's a ring return too! You should video yourself returning it back to yourself.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

John, that's one of the great hunts posted!! I reserve the happy dance for just such hunts! I've heard those batwings called baldrick chest buckles. I've heard late 1700s to early 1800s...but only on the forums.

You know, before detecting I was a golfer. I would get a blister under my wedding band, so in the middle of a round I'd take it off..one day I took it off and held it between the club and my hand...on my follow through the ring went flying down an embankment never to be seen again. I replaced it and some years later I "smartened up"...I took it off before the round. I put it in my coin holder in my car...someone saw it, opened my car door and took it. So I lost TWO wedding rings and my wife STILL loves me!
    but I digress...you hunt was fabulous!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great hunt! I am not sure all wives would be as understanding as Mrs. Ox Shoe is. My ring might as well be welded on. I just tried to get it off and can't get it over my knuckle But I also digress...... Nice bunch of finds. I like that KG3.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Gotta love the permissions.

That hunt would of been very exciting all on its own no need to give yourself even more excitement by losing the Ring ! I'd love to see a few close ups of the 1775 copper to determine just what it may be , the "bat wing" buckles are very curios . Some say belt or baldric buckle and some say animal harness related , I've seen may recovered near a cellar and many found in a field .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Another great hunt. What did your KG ring up as? My counterfeits on the V3i ring up aroung 55 where a genuine kG is around 78-82.

Good job on the ring recovery.......whew
    Thanks Al. I tested it again this evening and it rings up a steady 82-83 vdi on my AT-Pro. So maybe genuine?

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    What a great bunch of finds. A little bit of everything!
    I'm happy to hear that you recovered your ring. FIND OF THE Day
    Yeah, for sure Don. Really a bittersweet feeling looking over my finds and realizing I had one really important one still to find!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Great finds! And big congrats on finding your ring. Hey that's a ring return too! You should video yourself returning it back to yourself.
    Lol! Yeah, the most important ring return I'll ever do!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    John, that's one of the great hunts posted!! I reserve the happy dance for just such hunts! I've heard those batwings called baldrick chest buckles. I've heard late 1700s to early 1800s...but only on the forums.

You know, before detecting I was a golfer. I would get a blister under my wedding band, so in the middle of a round I'd take it off..one day I took it off and held it between the club and my hand...on my follow through the ring went flying down an embankment never to be seen again. I replaced it and some years later I "smartened up"...I took it off before the round. I put it in my coin holder in my car...someone saw it, opened my car door and took it. So I lost TWO wedding rings and my wife STILL loves me!
    but I digress...you hunt was fabulous!!
    Thanks Drew, and for your side of the story also! I've got a great woman too - always let's me hunt when I want, even when it's to put off the occasional dreaded home project! I read similar on those buckles - so late 1700s to about 1850 it is! That'll be my take unless I see otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Great hunt! I am not sure all wives would be as understanding as Mrs. Ox Shoe is. My ring might as well be welded on. I just tried to get it off and can't get it over my knuckle But I also digress...... Nice bunch of finds. I like that KG3.
    Thanks Jeff! You know, your issue is exactly why I had mine resized. I'm not crazily overweight or anything, being fairly tall, but the fingers just aren't as thin as they were back in my 20s!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Gotta love the permissions.
    Field permissions, that is. At least that's what I'm sold on up here for now! Thanks Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    That hunt would of been very exciting all on its own no need to give yourself even more excitement by losing the Ring ! I'd love to see a few close ups of the 1775 copper to determine just what it may be , the "bat wing" buckles are very curios . Some say belt or baldric buckle and some say animal harness related , I've seen may recovered near a cellar and many found in a field .

Dan
    Thanks much Dan. I've read similar after some quick reading - so the term "bat wing" may be bit erroneous. I'm just happy to have finally found a complete one after finding several partial frags. Here's a few close-ups of the KG3. As I said to Al, it rings up fairly high 82-83 on my AT-Pro. The green patina is fairly thick on some portions of the coin, so I put a little forehead grease on them and held them at an angle to give a bit more perspective.

Name:  KG3 obverse closeup.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  37.4 KBName:  KG3 reverse closeup.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  36.7 KB

Great finds! Always wanted one of those old heel plates. That KG is in pretty nice condition too, congrats!
    Nice recovery of your band. Lucky you didnt have to call in the ring finders!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Thanks much Dan. I've read similar after some quick reading - so the term "bat wing" may be bit erroneous. I'm just happy to have finally found a complete one after finding several partial frags. Here's a few close-ups of the KG3. As I said to Al, it rings up fairly high 82-83 on my AT-Pro. The green patina is fairly thick on some portions of the coin, so I put a little forehead grease on them and held them at an angle to give a bit more perspective.

Name:  KG3 obverse closeup.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  37.4 KBName:  KG3 reverse closeup.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  36.7 KB
    John it looks like a British imitation of some sort (there are many group categories which I'm not that familiar with) , definitely not a Machin's variety . It still is a great looking copper and held up well for a field find . I'm trying to do a general consensus on these types of buckles to determine just what their true purpose was , were all you parts to these and this found in a farm field ? Home site cellar hole ?

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    John it looks like a British imitation of some sort (there are many group categories which I'm not that familiar with) , definitely not a Machin's variety . It still is a great looking copper and held up well for a field find . I'm trying to do a general consensus on these types of buckles to determine just what their true purpose was , were all you parts to these and this found in a farm field ? Home site cellar hole ?

Dan
    Thanks Dan. All of my finds posted here were from one farm field - plowed corn at this point and site of an old home. Earliest maps for my area date to the mid 1850s and this site was listed on this and a later date c. 1870 map. It's gone on a USGS map from c. 1915 to give you some perspective. There are so many field home sites like this up here - some are fruitful, some are not. I've been quite fortunate this year to have found several good ones.

John - You've had an amazing season.
    Congrats.