Thread: Need a little help with a button

Need a little help with a button

Hey all,

Haven't been on here for a while. So I have been detecting a property that dates back to the early 1700s. Most amazing property I have ever been on. Not even close to done. Shoe buckles, coppers, 1750 1/2 Reales, late 1700 patriotic buttons and more.

This 1 piece button was found today with the stuff above it in one of the pics. Possibly brass and/or gilt of anchor w/ chain. I have been told 1770-1810 Naval. I don,t have a caliper so the dime is for size. The button is almost the same size as the dime but just barely smaller. Any idea?

Del?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice finds and you definitely have a killer spot there. I don't see your exact button in my book, but if it's authentic US it's definitely pre-1802, likely continental Navy since after that date they went to the Eagle on the foul anchor w/stars design. Way to go! I also see very similar designs to early Navy buttons from England and France. I'm sure someone else here will have more.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

I saw on a post from Del a while back of a book with a pic of this button with measurements. Not sure which book it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this might be it? Revolutionary war British officer coat gold gilded button im assuming yours is a cuff button. Let me know what you think? Nice find, pre 1812 for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow! Thanks! That looks exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Wow! Thanks! That looks exactly the same
    I agree I think it’s a match unfortunately I couldn’t find anymore information I know this one pictured was dug in New York and sold at auction but no value was given. Congrats again on saving a great piece of history

Thanks for the info. Value is not so important to me. I don't have another like it. I almost never sell anything I find but I have been known to trade sometimes. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks similar to Navy Buttons from about 1774 to 1787 era , both Royal Navy and Continental Navy used them at one point . Great finds Noel

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album