Thread: Found Some Roman Coins

Found Some Roman Coins

Hi Diggers,
    The other day I went detecting in an area where Roman coins can be found. Between myself, Russ, and Tom, we found 22 coins in 4 hours. I found 6 but 4 were completely rotted and crumbled into dust once they dried out. Here's the 2 that could be saved. I spent about 40 minutes cleaning each coin.

These coins were minted between 351 and 353 A.D. and depict Magnentius the Usurper. The back depicts 2 winged "Victories" holding a placard which contains a prayer commemorating Magnentius' 5 years of rule as Caesar. The coins are slightly different as they were minted in two different cities. They aren't in the best of shape but considering they are 1,700 years old it's not so bad.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Very cool coins Daddy D. ! Another new name to the list of Caesars I had never previously heard of . It's great that you are in a location that makes such finds possible . I recently purchased some mixed coins from a garage sale . One appears to be very old and possibly Roman . I'm going to have to try and figure out where it came from . It would make a cool avatar but that's out of the question as I didn't find it detecting . Some of these Caesars on coins look like they had a Thanksgiving feast every day . I hope you Thanksgiving was great !

Those 2 coins are really cool! Congrats!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Yes sir! For being Roman bronzes, those two are really nice! Too bad they are usually all chewed up. But like you said, what do you expect after 1700 years of fighting the elements!
    Nice finds Dave!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Beautiful coins. I really love the reverse on those coins as I have not seen that one before. I am a member of several UK Groups on Facebook as I love seeing Romans and Hammered Coins.
    XP Deus

Really nice Dave. Heck, those look better than many of my cornfield IHs! Hey, have you or any of your friends attempted to locate and/or detect possible Roman/Germanic battle sites? Not all of those have been discovered and there were quite a few including the campaigns of Germanicus in the early 1 century AD after the Varian disaster. I've read quite a bit on Roman history and been to Rome a few years back so I find your discoveries, especially the Roman stuff quite neat.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos