Thread: Help!!!!

Help!!!!

So I have many Riker display boxes in my living room. Is there a method that anyone uses to keep the items in place...so that I can display them in an upright position?????

thanks

Al
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I noticed some photos of a display last year at one of the shows where someone had spent time to affix items in the displays for upright viewing. I can't recall exactly how it was done but I'm sure it was time consuming work. It was a really nice display. Every time I retrieve one of my displays from the lock box I have the same problem in that items get jumbled around.
    XP Deus

my wife used a glue gun on few of mine
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Al,
    I found if I put several pages of newspaper behind the foam it increases the thickness and then I really have to mash it all down putting the glass cover back on. Once I stick the 4 pins in the objects can't slide because of the friction. I also put of piece of colored felt cloth on top of the foam to help the items grip better.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks for all the tips. I now have something to do over the winter.

2020:

Good topic Al!
    I've done a Rikers case for every year of detecting. I have the same issues , that some if the items are to big and heavy for the foam alone to support them in the case, so I'm forced to keep them all flat and stacked together. Which stinks, because now if you want look at a certain one, you have to unstack and restack them all. I watched a friend of mine make up a display case for some of his nicer, broken, Indian artifacts. He lit a candle and would use hot wax. He'd pour a little puddle of wax where he wanted the next piece and set the piece in the wax. He was using a picture frame with no foam, just a piece of cardboard. I've often thought about trying that, but some of the items would get wax wedged up into places that you don't want it to. That's why I haven't tried that method yet. But I suppose if you had a bunch of items that couldn't get impregnated with the wax like, maybe shankless buttons, or even coins it'd probably work ok. He said he's able to take them out and the wax pops right off.
    Last edited by Ill Digger; 12-02-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Good topic Al!
    I've done a Rikers case for every year of detecting. I have the same issues , that some if the items are to big and heavy for the foam alone to support them in the case, so I'm forced to keep them all flat and stacked together. Which stinks, because now if you want look at a certain one, you have to unstack and restack them all. I watched a friend of mine make up a display case for some of his nicer, broken, Indian artifacts. He lit a candle and would use hot wax. He'd pour a little puddle of wax where he wanted the next piece and set the piece in the wax. He was using a picture frame with no foam, just a piece of cardboard. I've often thought about trying that, but some of the items would get wax wedged up into places that you don't want it to. That's why I haven't tried that method yet. But I suppose if you had a bunch of items that couldn't get impregnated with the wax like, maybe shankless buttons, or even coins it'd probably work ok. He said he's able to take them out and the wax pops right off.
    Thanks Tim, Yeah with the larger and smaller items mixed in they tend to move....a lot. The wax may be the way to go.

2020: