Thread: Noob in Oregon

Candidate Member

Noob in Oregon

Hi all, name's Mike, and I'm interested in getting back into metal detecting. Well, really getting started. Back in the mid-2000's I was into prospecting and eventually bought a used Tesoro lobo supertraq. I only managed to use it a couple times before life got in the way. I'm trying to get back into prospecting, and with that using my detector more, not just for nugget shooting but coin/relic hunting as well. I know the LST is geared more towards nuggets than anything else, but I figure it should do ok for finding coins etc.

Anyway, I'm in Newberg, about 30 mins SW of Portland. Is there anyone local here that might be willing to go detecting with me?

also, I'm looking to get a pin pointer. Are the cheap chinese ones on amazon worth it, or should I spend the money and get a name brand one?

Thanks,
    Mike

Welcome to the forum, Mike! We're glad you joined us.

Regarding your pinpointer question, it's true that "you get what you pay for." Personally, if you can swing it I would pay a little more for a name brand pinpointer. You will be much happier in the long run.

Best of luck with your prospecting and metal detecting. I hope you find some great stuff.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Mike, welcome from western MA. Tony is right on with you get what you pay for. Good luck with your prospecting and have you checked to see if there is a local metal detecting club near you?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Candidate Member
    Would this be a decent pin pointer? It’s not the Garrett carrot, but it is a Garrett at least. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223306337223

Hi Mike and Happy New Year! The auction that already ended was the original black garrett pin pointer and would be fine. That's what I use. The large "we found something similar" pic is just the mount, which you probably already know. Welcome to the group and I look forward to your posts!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hello Mike, welcome to both of us.

Welcome to the forum from ohio
    Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MX Sport

Hey Mike!
    Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois!

And yes the plain black original Garrett pinpointers are great units!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Like a knucklehead, I just lost my pinpointer. So, coincidentally, I'm also in the market. I'd never heard of the Deteknix Xpointer before but it looks really good...and much cheaper than the Pro Pointer.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hey Mike, Tom here in Seaside Oregon. Just received my new Garrett Ace 400 detector with Ace Pin Pointer. I have a couple more accessories coming. This will be my first attempt at Detecting. Perhaps after we get acquainted with our detectors we could meet for some detecting. Again, welcome to the forum.

Tom

Welcome to the forum from N. California.
    Jeff
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68