Thread: 2018 Wrap up

2018 Wrap up

Hi folks,

Here's a quick summary of some of my better stuff from last year. A very small percentage (< 2%) include items found in late December 2017, but since winter came early this year and I've had only one chance to hunt since mid-November I don't consider it a big deal. It was a wonderful year for me and my only regret is that I didn't find these sites sooner. Three of them were virgin and even in my relative newness to the hobby (5 yrs) it was obvious they'd never seen a metal detector before. Just wonderful stuff popped out of the ground at these sites, one of which had coppers literally lying on the surface! Insanity. Can't wait 'til the snow melts and I'll be out trekking around once again. Thanks for looking!

John

Name:  LCs.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  28.6 KB
    I found 40 1/2 coppers this year, including quite the variety of early American, British and Canadian examples.

Name:  LCs_stacked.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  24.0 KB
    Here they are stacked. I look to look at them this way!

Name:  LCs_drapedbusts.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  25.3 KB
    10 of those were Draped Busts (including an 1804 half cent)...or 10 1/2 if you count the cut 1803 at top.

Name:  LCs_favs.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  27.9 KB
    Here are my three favorites. The VF 1803 at left could fetch a few bucks, though the etched 1798 with the initials I.(or J) D.M. takes the cake.

Name:  IHs_and_Wheats.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  31.2 KB
    IHs and Wheats...well I certainly can't compete with the big dogs on this or other forums. A toast to the mid-westerners Don, Noah, Jared! Alas, I hunt very old sites so nearly all of these were random drops from farmers/hunters etc.

Name:  Silver.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  27.0 KB
    Only a few silvers this year but three were, I must say, beauties! 1779 and 1784 two Reales and a sharp 1900-O Barber Half.

Name:  Buttons.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  35.9 KB
    Buttons - geez, where to start...at least 200. Not all are shown here but dare I say I dug many!

Name:  Buttons_closeup.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  26.5 KB
    I few of my favs, mostly military. The Vermont CW at top right tops the list, though the two 1830s era Navy cuffs just below it aren't far behind.

Name:  Bells.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  30.3 KB
    I also had the pleasure to dig a number of nice whole and partial crotals and conestogas, though the ginormous one you may remember I found in a river while kayaking. Jeff, that one's for you!

Name:  Buckles_and_Clips.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  37.4 KB
    Buckles and clips - mostly standard fare here. The early 1800s Order of Odd Fellows clip at bottom right definitely tops this assortment.

Name:  Ammo.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  24.4 KB
    A collection of early ammo. Had the privilege of hitting a new permission site of mine last fall with Digger Dame of Stealth Digger nation fame. He lives up in my neck of the woods. One of the sites on this property coughed up a number of early CW-era minie balls and Williams Cleaners. Those were a nice surprise.

Name:  Special_finds.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  27.3 KB
    A few special finds include two medallions - an 1820s-40s religious at top (possibly John the Baptist) & a Beehive medal c. early 1800s at right given to early school children for hard work. Really like that one. Also had the pleasure of unearthing an early c. 1850 RR tag. That one's worth some bucks, but as many of you know, I don't sell! With all that said, the 1850s era New York militia belt plate at center I consider my find of the year. Still amazed I dug it and such a personal item.

Name:  Wideshot.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  42.7 KB
    Now what to do with all this stuff! The items from the three virgin sites I kept separate from the other generic field finds with the plan that someday I'll donate these to the respective towns' historical societies. Those are shown at 1) top left white paper towel, 2) bottom left paper towel, and 3) right two paper towels. Hoping 2019 brings joy and happiness to all of you. In the meantime, if the soil is thawed the the weather permits, get out there and get diggin'!! I'll be living vicariously through you for the next few months!
    Last edited by BTV Digger; 01-16-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Absolutely an amazing year John , 40 plus coppers is a fantastic total by itself ! Some of the relics and buttons are epic ! I only hope you can do just as well or better this year and thanks for taking the time to show'em !!

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WOW WEEEE What a super year, John!!! As Dan said, the copper count was great...but I'm also taken by the bells!! So MANY!!! Not only have you had a banner year but your participation on this forum has also been significant and appreciated! Have a restful winter!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Good night!!!!! Those are amazing! I love all those old coppers...I have dug 6 or 7 in my life! Thanks for posting all of this!

I think it's funny that you have found just a couple wheats! In 7 years I have found almost 3500...I just tallied them up the other day.

I think I need to go out east and wonder the old farm fields!
    Last edited by Bucknut; 01-16-2019 at 09:31 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Heck of a year John. Yeah you find conestogas like Dan finds shoe buckles...... It is hard to pick a favorite from all those goodies. Aside from the Godzilla conestoga, I love that initialed old DB and that beehive medal is pretty special.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Amazing year, John.
    Now leave some for the rest of us, willYa?!

Thank you for sharing those pictures and commentary with us! GREAT YEAR! So many awesome finds I don't even know where to begin. I think I like the bells the best though (probably because I've never found any). And you are correct about the counter-stamped coin. Even as late as the 1750's the letter "I" was pronounced as a "J" and they were used interchangeably. Best wishes for more successes in 2019 and happy hunting, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Well to those who thought they'd entered the hobby too late, you've proven them wrong!

What a great year you had John. Always a pleasure to read your posts and watch your videos. Your copper count is out of this world.... You managed to unearth in one year what a lot of us hope to do in a lifetime. Gotta ask....do you have a greater appreciation of corn fields....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thanks for taking time to display all of these. It is fun seeing what you guys out East pick up. I get fairly happy when wheats come out of the ground. Keep up the great videos on You Tube too!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Absolutely an amazing year John , 40 plus coppers is a fantastic total by itself ! Some of the relics and buttons are epic ! I only hope you can do just as well or better this year and thanks for taking the time to show'em !!

Dan
    Thanks Dan. Yeah, I'm not sure I'll top that number of coppers in a year again, but who knows. I'm not one to "one up" myself anyway. Heck, at 52 yrs. old I'm just out there to have fun, share experiences with friends and dig some history along the way. Seeing what transpired for me last year though, I'm confident there's another untouched site or two out there waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    WOW WEEEE What a super year, John!!! As Dan said, the copper count was great...but I'm also taken by the bells!! So MANY!!! Not only have you had a banner year but your participation on this forum has also been significant and appreciated! Have a restful winter!!!
    Thanks for the nice complement Drew. I love interacting with others on this forum and the wealth of knowledge is fantastic. I learn new things all the time! The crotals and conestogas last year were truly a great surprise, and I was fortunate to get my coil over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Good night!!!!! Those are amazing! I love all those old coppers...I have dug 6 or 7 in my life! Thanks for posting all of this!

I think it's funny that you have found just a couple wheats! In 7 years I have found almost 3500...I just tallied them up the other day.

I think I need to go out east and wonder the old farm fields!
    Wow...3500. That's incredible! I'd have to assume that other than the odd '31-D, 14-D, '09-S VDB etc. you've pretty much found them all huh? I've only hunted like 3 yards ever - not my cup of tea, so it's why I really don't find many. Most of the sites I hit were long gone by 1900. If you're ever out this way shoot me a note - there's plenty of colonial ground to swing on!

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Heck of a year John. Yeah you find conestogas like Dan finds shoe buckles...... It is hard to pick a favorite from all those goodies. Aside from the Godzilla conestoga, I love that initialed old DB and that beehive medal is pretty special.
    Thanks a lot Jeff. I'm not sure my conestoga count comes close to Dan's shoe buckle #s, but happy I found them. Definitely gonna return to that river site next spring/summer with my detector. It's right behind a colonial-era mansion that's still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGC View Post
    Amazing year, John.
    Now leave some for the rest of us, willYa?!
    David my man! Thanks. BTW we are DEFINITELY gonna get together this spring. I've got a number of standing permissions and I'm certain we can find a time or two that'll work out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Thank you for sharing those pictures and commentary with us! GREAT YEAR! So many awesome finds I don't even know where to begin. I think I like the bells the best though (probably because I've never found any). And you are correct about the counter-stamped coin. Even as late as the 1750's the letter "I" was pronounced as a "J" and they were used interchangeably. Best wishes for more successes in 2019 and happy hunting, Dave.
    Thanks Dave. Yeah, on the bells I'm not sure if they were just more common up here than in other areas, or I just got lucky. Probably a bit of both. The etched DB LC is definitely among my favorite finds of last year. Never have been able to find a correct attribution for I.D.M or J.D.M. Likely a merchant from the early 1800s or a love token.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Well to those who thought they'd entered the hobby too late, you've proven them wrong!
    Thanks much Tim. It's through a lot of research and exchanges on this forum that I've found my niche in the past few years. Also finding local friends in the hobby have helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    What a great year you had John. Always a pleasure to read your posts and watch your videos. Your copper count is out of this world.... You managed to unearth in one year what a lot of us hope to do in a lifetime. Gotta ask....do you have a greater appreciation of corn fields....
    Thanks Al, and yes, corn/hay fields are by far my favorites now! So much to still discover and easy swinging. I must say a hike through the woods to find a lost cellar hole still has it's place in the summer though!

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Thanks for taking time to display all of these. It is fun seeing what you guys out East pick up. I get fairly happy when wheats come out of the ground. Keep up the great videos on You Tube too!
    Thanks for kind words! I'll definitely keep posting the videos for the enjoyment of others in the hobby. Not much more until spring though, as we're locked down and frozen up here until late March/early April.
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Totally amazing finds! Congrats on a great year of digging.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Iv'e seen entire clubs find less than you. , what an amazing year
    Thanks for sharing those pictures John. AWESOME!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Awesome year! I found the same sportsman button. Name:  26994171_10210960214304943_4798614656525053006_n.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  58.7 KB
    XP Deus

What a mind blowing post! You had a spectacular year, John! 40 coppers, wow! I love the 1798 Draped Bust with the IDM initials carved in it. What an amazing piece of history!

Two pieces of Spanish silver, incredible buttons, 1850s Railroad luggage tag, and the incredible NY Militia Belt Plate!

Seeing all of your finds together like that is jaw dropping!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg