Thread: First wheat cent of the year!

Threaded View

First wheat cent of the year!

Hey diggers,
    I took a day off for my birthday and went treasure hunting. Always the best present to get me! LOL. We hit a patch of woods that is right next to the "medieval woods." There is a Celtic burial mound there also. Finds were slow but steady. I didn't realize I had a wheat cent until I got home and tried to clean my coins. The soil is very harsh here and the front of the coin is pretty much wiped.

I found 3 bronze rings and Tom found 1. At first I thought these were medieval ring buckles with the tongues missing but now I'm not so sure. If you Google "Celtic ring money" you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm going to have to get an expert opinion before I say for sure what they are. The watch winder was my first good find of the day. The convex button was a big surprise! If you look closely you can see crossed cannons and the number 9 (or 2) above it. They are very faint so maybe they are secondary images?

The aluminum coins always give a screamer signal. After WW1 Germany was so broke they had no silver or gold to back their currency so they used "the bounty of the land." That's why wheat is represented on these coins. The German government literally mortgaged the value of the future harvest to back their currency!

Thanks for looking and HH! Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger