Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forgotten button

forgotten button

I don’t remember when or where I found this button, but since the weather is still too cold here in Illinois I decided to clean this with CLR. To my surprise it has gold gilded still on it! It’s about the size of the tip of my pinky. Any ideas on kind? Military possibly?
    Name:  57547F18-E86D-4F81-9E7B-5AA6E2349B34.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  22.0 KB It’s a 2 piece.

Noah, is the picture under water? Looks like a nice military or cadet button but I can't make out the design!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I tried enhancing your photo but the device on the front is still not identifiable. A better picture of the front and any markings on the back of your button will help get it IDed. Being "pinky" sized it is most likely a cuff button and it does have a military look to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Lots of gold gilt left on that button. Hope someone confirms that it is military.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Lots of gold gilt left on that button. Hope someone confirms that it is military.
    Sorry for the lousy photo. I failed my photography class in high school (always left the cap off too long and subject always moved to much).
    I hope this is a little better.Name:  329F6874-88A8-40EB-9041-EEAF7E81EB06.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  53.7 KB definitely 13 stars. Back side might be tough but I’ll try.

Next time I see you I'm going to give you some lens cleaning wipes!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

He must be steaming up his lens with all that heavy breathing.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Funny simple solution (cleaning) seems to be the problem. I can’t believe the gunk that was on the lens! I’ll try taking a better photo

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    He must be steaming up his lens with all that heavy breathing.
    Name:  5238EC85-E001-42A7-8F65-DE402EE7F3C2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  80.2 KB Is that better?

Much better!

The button appears to have CS on it, or maybe it's SC.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I’m pretty excited about it. Would have missed it but for the cold weather. Just can’t find another like it on line. Where is Don when I need him?

See below...
    Last edited by BTV Digger; 02-15-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Great looking button Noah! I agree with fyrffytr1 that it looks possibly military. One other possibility is it could be old Chicago Transit line related. You're in Illinois correct? The big C in the middle possibly suggests that. Back in the late 1800s/early 1900s there were numerous trolley lines, each with their unique insignia for conductors. It was all consolidated by 1914 into the more modern system we know today. The only reason I know is I strangely found a cool old transit line button about 2 years ago here in VT. It's worth a search if you can't turn up anything military. Here's a few examples of other railway buttons with a prominent "C" in the insiginia - 1 Canadian and 1 American. Images of the old transit line buttons are harder to come by, if indeed that's what it is.

Name:  railwaybuttons.png
Views: 254
Size:  291.3 KB

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Thanks very much. Raises all kinds of interesting possibilities. Has 13 stars wrapped around it which is why I thought military. Shank is solid. Anyway I will keep looking to identify.

I don't know guys, I don't see an S. To me, it looks more like 3 C's or 3 horse shoes.
    The mystery continues!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Noah, It's an AWESOME button! I'm thinking CS stands for Canadian Sausages. Don't you live near a Canadian sausage factory? Actually, I like the theory above about a Chicago trolley service. That style of button looks 1880s to 1910 to me.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I’m going with Canadian Sausages. They regularly provided sausages to the thirteenth colonies, competing with Great Britain. VERY RARE BUTTON. I have the only one.

I edited your photo a little to show it in it's correct orientation. It is a 3 piece button which makes me think some kind of staff officers one. It does look like a script C S on it. You are right, the back is toast but I think that might be N Y at the 2-3 o'clock position. I'll see what I can find.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Blog Entries
    Nice find.