Thread: The collapsed cellar hole chimney copper spill!

The collapsed cellar hole chimney copper spill!

Hi everyone! Got out with Del on Sunday for our first cellar hole hunt in a month due to the weather. It was great to get out and though the day started slow it ended with a bang. The weather was beautiful and it felt so good to not be freezing while detecting. The first site we hit was a very old hammered site that we have in our rotation now at least once per year due to the incredible finds that have been made there. We both got skunked which was a first for this site. We then moved onto another hammered site not far away. That's when it happened. I walked up to the collapsed chimney in the cellar hole and started to scan the rocks hoping that something may have been secreted in the rocks before it collapsed. I got a beautiful signal and started pulling rocks out and found one of the nicest King George II Hibernia's I have ever seen. It's a 1723. Name:  55795301_10213668642413953_8885871556819943424_n.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  57.0 KBBut wait, there's more. Scanning the rocks again I got another signal and pulled out what is possibly a Charles II farthing. This one remains to be definitely identified and I will be showing it to Danny again on our next hunt. But wait, there's more! Scanning again and moving rocks like Hulk Hogan I found a 1600's Liard De France! Name:  55807438_10213674207513077_7227718476360581120_n.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  55.5 KBThe excitement and the thought of finding a cache crossed both mine and Danny's mind but that was all for now. We need to go back and I will be moving even more rocks to see if there could be something else in that hole. Danny had a great day too but I will let him tell you about it.
    XP Deus

Wow, those are some amazing finds. Congrats.
    Best of luck on your return visit!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

WOW! Great find! I hope it turns out to be a cache (and maybe a silver or two in there also). How about a pic of the backs? Congrats and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

That KGII is ridiculous! So jealous!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That KG II Hibernia is a true thing of beauty! I've never seen a dug example with that much detail before.

That had to be really exciting, finding the cache/spill in the chimney rocks like that. I hope there is more when you return! Awesome!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice trifecta! Super sharp Hibernia
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

How about a pic of the backs?

Not much to look at on the backside. (That's what she said too )

The Hibernia has some stubborn green crusty spots on the reverse and the only designs showing on the Liard are a couple of the Fleur de lys' and you can barely make out the "A" for the Paris Mint. The Charles II Farthing has nothing on the reverse except the first couple of digits on the date (16) and only when held in blazing sunlight with the moon over your left shoulder. Name:  54524267_10213670940511404_5633297475008724992_n.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  73.5 KB Here's a photo of the Liard's reverse. Name:  55594247_10213681333011210_2944896591959425024_n.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  52.1 KBAnd here is the Woods Hibernia reverse.
    Last edited by Donnie B; 03-27-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    XP Deus

Nice spill Donnie! Man, you couldn't ask for better detail on the KG.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Way to think outside the box! That's almost certainly a cache of some sort, unless maybe they dried their laundry by the fire and coins fell out periodically getting lost In a crack or something? Either way, you got yourself a heck of a score, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

That was quite a day Donnie , this particular cellar has been very quiet but you have to revisit these sites at different times of the year as ground conditions are always different from the last. Donnie's decision to check the collapsed chimney ruble was a good one . Congrats on the coins my friend !!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Way to think outside the box! That's almost certainly a cache of some sort, unless maybe they dried their laundry by the fire and coins fell out periodically getting lost In a crack or something? Either way, you got yourself a heck of a score, congrats!
    Chris , I've seen many coins retrieved from chimney stone piles or collapsed fireplace hearths . I think it was a somewhat a common practice to either hide coins high up in between the fireplace stone cracks to save for a "rainy day" or like you mentioned place the coins found from a pocket before hanging the damp garment near the mantle to dry out.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WHAT A DAY!
    Some great coins, Donnie! That hibernia is in great shape and ANY 1600s coin is special!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow, that's a great trifecta right there. Can't wait to see what else lies buried in there.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

[QUOTE=del;227533]That was quite a day Donnie , this particular cellar has been very quiet but you have to revisit these sites at different times of the year as ground conditions are always different from the last. Donnie's decision to check the collapsed chimney ruble was a good one . Congrats on the coins my friend !!

Thanks Danny. You ended up with a good day too. I can't wait to see that bridal rosette that you found at the site.
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post

Thanks Danny. You ended up with a good day too. I can't wait to see that bridal rosette that you found at the site.
    The front is like a mirror !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Now this is what detecting is all about. The hibernia is in great shape and hoping that there is many more for you there. I once got a permission and the owner wanted me to detect his chimney in his 1700's house. They were in the process of renovating and I was able to get behind the chimney. Sadly, no hits.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album