Thread: Wanting to get back in the game

Hybrid View

Candidate Member

Wanting to get back in the game

Hi all. I am a 57 year old male from NE Pennsylvania. I am just joining this forum today in an effort to get back into detecting. I bought my first detector back in 2013 and hit the ground running at full tilt. I was going detecting, on average, 3 times per week and traveling all over the state of Pennsylvania. I think I threw myself into it too fast and too hard. A couple years ago, trying to find new permissions and getting turned down more than permissions just took their toll. I went detecting a grand total of 2 times in 2018. Anyone else experienced this and how did you find the spark again? I appreciate all suggestions and tips.

I did the same several times going back 20 years, but found my mojo again and again. Its like i get burnt out then wanting to go again. Guys i have hunted with went onto other things. But yes ive done the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you joined us.

I will turn 57 later this year. I metal detected regularly from 1981-1999 until my Fisher 1260X broke. At that time I took a 12 year break from metal detecting but at times I really missed it. When I would drive by an old park or abandoned house I would really get the itch. In 2011 I bought a new Minelab E-Trac and I have been detecting regularly since. Now it is hard for me to imagine ever giving it up.

Did you miss detecting when you were taking a break from it? It sounds like you did maybe. I know that it can be discouraging at times but for me the rewards always outweigh the negatives.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 04-05-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_river View Post
    I did the same several times going back 20 years, but found my mojo again and again. Its like i get burnt out then wanting to go again. Guys i have hunted with went onto other things. But yes ive done the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Welcome to the forum! We're glad you joined us.

I will turn 57 later this year. I metal detected regularly from 1981-1999 until my Fisher 1260X broke. At that time I took a 12 year break from metal detecting but at times I really missed it. When I would drive by an old park or abandoned house I would really get the itch. In 2011 I bought a new Minelab E-Trac and I have been detecting regularly since. Now it is hard for me to imagine ever giving it up.

Did you miss detecting when you were taking a break from it? It sounds like you did maybe. I know that it can be discouraging at times bit for me the rewards always outweigh the negatives.
    Thank you for the welcome and your thoughts. I have missed detecting, and so hopefully I can get out soon now that the ground has thawed.

Welcome back....I also had a huge break in my detecting time. Hopefully you'll appreciate the renewed anticipation of getting that great signal....wondering what's in the hole....retrieving the target....looking at it....then the big question....what the heck is this.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Candidate Member
    Thank you. I did get out for a quick little walk with the F75 yesterday. No permission-seeking, just a short revisit to an agricultural field that yielded my second KG and a couple toasted old large cents a few years ago. I thought I had hunted this one pretty thoroughly and only managed a smashed old round ball and a piece of farm-iron that was unidentifiable. It was good to hear some tones though

Welcome to the forum 5thfret , I'm only a few years younger and also had bouts away from the hobby at times . I keep coming back and usually each time more renewed or with more appreciation of the hobby or just the time spent outdoors , I love the secluded woods and animal life you get to hear and see. A good digging partner with a great sense of humor that your comfortable with is a huge plus and motivator that I recommend getting if you don't have one .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome 5thfret! I assume you're a guitarist. Having a few hobbies is probably helpful. Personally, I'm right in your age range and started daily detecting in 2010. I'll do an hour or 90 min after work, and 2 to 3 hours weekend mornings. I used to go out on the weekends with the "boys" but can't handle 8 hr hunts anymore. I could go longer when I had my T2 (which you know is almost the same as your F75). The Equinox is NOT physically fun to swing.
    I'm forced to take long breaks as we get a lot of snow in the northeast CT hills...and don't like to go out below freezing anymore...so I get plenty of breaks throughout the year.

I agree with Del (Dan) in that a compatible partner makes a big difference. With a regular partner you'll experience all the ups and downs of a close relationship. There have even been "break ups."

I agree with you about the permissions being a pain. I don't like procuring them but most times it's another way to form a nice relationship. I've met and befriended many owners who've enriched my life...I sometimes wonder if that's the best part of detecting.

I hope you continue with your current mojo and best of luck!
    PS I'm a musician too!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Welcome to the forum 5thfret , I'm only a few years younger and also had bouts away from the hobby at times . I keep coming back and usually each time more renewed or with more appreciation of the hobby or just the time spent outdoors , I love the secluded woods and animal life you get to hear and see. A good digging partner with a great sense of humor that your comfortable with is a huge plus and motivator that I recommend getting if you don't have one .

Dan
    Thank you. I was detecting with a younger fellow that lives about 45 minutes away, but honestly, detecting is all we have in common. We probably taught each other a few things because of our different outlooks. I am hoping to find a hunting partner that is more like myself personality wise, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Welcome 5thfret! I assume you're a guitarist. Having a few hobbies is probably helpful. Personally, I'm right in your age range and started daily detecting in 2010. I'll do an hour or 90 min after work, and 2 to 3 hours weekend mornings. I used to go out on the weekends with the "boys" but can't handle 8 hr hunts anymore. I could go longer when I had my T2 (which you know is almost the same as your F75). The Equinox is NOT physically fun to swing.
    I'm forced to take long breaks as we get a lot of snow in the northeast CT hills...and don't like to go out below freezing anymore...so I get plenty of breaks throughout the year.

I agree with Del (Dan) in that a compatible partner makes a big difference. With a regular partner you'll experience all the ups and downs of a close relationship. There have even been "break ups."

I agree with you about the permissions being a pain. I don't like procuring them but most times it's another way to form a nice relationship. I've met and befriended many owners who've enriched my life...I sometimes wonder if that's the best part of detecting.

I hope you continue with your current mojo and best of luck!
    PS I'm a musician too!
    Thanks! I don't consider myself a musician. I have tried teaching myself guitar for several years and haven't had much luck. I do love music and enjoy many kinds.
    When detecting with my old partner, I found myself spending more time talking/chatting with the property owner than the partner wanted to, so I guess he got more detecting time than I did. His finds usually showed that too, lol. Developing a relationship with the owner just provided the possibility of future sites and other owners was my thought. He just felt it was time he could spend detecting at that very moment. I was hoping this site might introduce me to someone closer in age/personality as I replied to Del.