Thread: Dig it All

Dig it All

The site I am currently hunting was a native American village until the very early 1830s. There have been no other inhabitants since then. There was trade with the British and Americans and Andrew Jackson even stayed there for a brief period during the Indian wars.
    So, every signal, no matter how small or large, has to be dug. Even the trash at this site is historical with the only exception being some later farm implements and the always present shot shell base.
    I have hunted this site several times in the last month or so and have had some success. This is mostly plowed farm land and there is no way to know where to dig. One just has to walk until the detector picks up a signal. Then you just start making a spiral and, if you are on a hut site, the finds will come.
    I was fortunate to find two such sites and I did a lot of digging for a few keepers.
    The natives would cut up copper kettles to make rolled copper points, tinklers and other adornments. There were a lot of scrap pieces left over.They also used silver to make jewelry. Picture #6 shows how small the silver pieces can be.
    I have found several rolled points, a trade ax(maybe two if the other piece turns out to be one), tinklers, gun parts from a British flintlock musket, round balls, British buttons and other items. I have also been lucky enough to find some flint points and a hammer stone.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Those trade artifacts are so cool. Yeah, some sites you do have to just dig it all.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Wow, great history there! Sounds like the perfect place to use a good PI machine.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

That site is definitely a "dig it all" site. Great artifacts!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Fascinating array of finds! Those would be some of the oldest finds we can make here in the states with a metal detector. I love the little silver cone-shaped adornments. They are tiny!

Congrats on all the historic finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

WOW, simply WOW! I can't even start with my favorites. They are all awesome finds and significant finds too! Your photos have something to appeal to any kind of collector that's for sure. Whether it's arrowheads, colonial, frontiersmen, etc. Thanks for sharing this with us and best wishes for more! Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully we will get two or three more hunts in before the field is planted.

Candidate Member
    Congrats on finding that site. You've uncovered some wonderful history.

We have found two new hut sites in the last four hunts but, we are running out of time and places to look in the field. The huts run along a ridge and the last one we found is near the woods. I hope to get back out there Thursday afternoon because the rain is supposed to get here Thursday night and continue until next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Fantastic site. Everything has to be dug and I hope that the planting comes later and not sooner.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

The farmer is putting cotton this year so it will be one of the last crops he plants. Still, we only have a week or two and can only hunt on Thursday afternoon and Saturday/Sunday. With the rain coming we will probably not be able to hunt this weekend.