Thread: AT PRO gone WILD!

Hybrid View

AT PRO gone WILD!

I've never had a moment of trouble with my AT PRO.
    Today, after detecting for a short while, it started to false when it wasn't being swung. First, it would show mostly "53" and a mid tone. Then, it started to false continuously -- beeps (mostly mid-tones, but a few others) and numbers all over the place.

I re-installed the coil. I put in fresh batteries. I did the 5-second factory re-set.

Moving the coil wire does not seem to have any effect. I don't think the problem is there.
    This detector has not seen that many hours of use over the ten years I've owned it (bought new from Kellyco in 2008 or 2009), and it has been pampered -- Cleaned after every use; always stored inside in a protective bag; never used underwater.

My guess is that something went nuts with the processing unit.

Has anyone else ever had this experience. Anything I should try before sending it off to Garrett.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

DavidGC

David:
    I have had similar issues with the pro, my first question would be interference? I had this issue when I accidentally forgot to put my phone on airplane mode so that’s a easy fix, second was a small split in the coil wire. Right as it feeds into the coil ( the thicker part) a small split occurred that wasn’t easily noticed until I inspected closely. Do you have another coil to test? Garrett resolved this issue with no questions asked, shipped a new coil in about 7 days. Good luck

I had a very similar problem with my E-Trac and it ended up being a bad coil. If you can, try a different coil on the machine and see if that fixes the problem.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I had a similar situation with my T2 years ago. I sent it to the shop and they said the coil needed "shielding." . It came back just like new.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks, guys.
    I was hoping that interference was the answer (I had a new electronic car ignition/lock key fob in my pocket that puts out a continuous signal), but that wasn't it.
    Turning down the sensitivity a couple of clicks helped, but it doesn't explain why I never had to do that before at this site.
    I guess I need to check out the coil cord. (Hmmmm... I've always wanted an excuse to buy a smaller coil.)
    If I can narrow it down to the coil, should I call Garrett? Any chance they'd replace it on a unit this old?

I’ve always dealt with Garrett via email, go to website fill out warranty claim, rep will email you, they sent my coil out after I sent them a few pictures and details of issues, received new coil promptly. Good luck

From my experiences with Garrett, their customer serves is next to none. I've sent in 2 or 3 Pro Pointers over the years and its usually pretty hassle free. I just sent them the PP and they sent me new ones! I'd definitely give them a shout and see how they respond. The worst they can say is that it's too old...

Good luck! And please let us know how you do.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I e-mailed Garrett and had a friendly response within 30 minutes.
    She asked a few questions. I responded, and within an hour I had another reply suggesting that I send it in for service.
    It is (obviously) out of warranty. (I was a little off on how old the unit is; I bought it new in 2014.)
    I was quoted $40 for service and return shipping, plus the cost of any parts.

Thanks to all for your help.
    I'll let you know the outcome.

Sent the AT PRO in on Monday. I got a call today (Friday) saying they are replacing the board and the case. She could not explain to me why I needed a new case (mine looks brand new) other than her guess which was that they waned to make sure it was watertight. Total cost with return shipping: $75.
    Should have it back by the end of next week.

Final follow up:
    AT Pro arrived on Friday, as promised.
    Works like new (which it essentially is -- new board and new case). The new case included new connectors.
    There were new mounting screws for the head and a new mounting bolt/nut for the coil.(Which is great, since I just bought myself a birthday present --the 5 x 8 coil-- so I can have a separate bolt for each.)

As usual, Garrett customer service was great (though I was kinda' hoping for a free hat! ).

Great, I'm glad it worked out, David...and Happy Birthday!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew