Thread: I thought it was a foreign coin at first (and I need help)

I thought it was a foreign coin at first (and I need help)

Hi everyone. I thought I would try the big coil on my CTX3030 to get accustomed to it. Went to a local school that was built in the 60s (that is 1960s for you East Coast people). I decided to go to a field behind the school that I have hit hard just because the kids lose a lot of quarters and it is a good break at lunch.

Had a 12-31 signal that was solid. Out popped this 1832 half-dime. Initially I thought it was a foreign coin since half-dimes are not even a thought in my head when metal detecting in WI (at least for me). I saw the back and through the dirt I could see United and Amer. Since I was just "testing the new coil", I didn't have my water. Now that the dirt is caked on, what are your best suggestions to clean this. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I can see some minor old wear on it. Sorry for bad picture, when I clean it, I will send more.

You know, yesterday while out, I thought to myself that this metal detecting thing is getting a little old. Had a bad day, bugs were aggressive, getting dehydrated, not finding much. Then today happened. Got this little gem. Oh by the way, a silver ring and a silver/gold ring as well. Will show those later too.

Please give suggestions on how to clean once the dirt is caked on. I have looked online, but would rather get the latest greatest from you guys/gals.

Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

That sir is a great find! I would soak it in water for now. Then Q tip the lose debris off. Avoid rubbing it if possible.

well done again!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Thanks Bucknut. Hope it is as nice as yours that is on display!

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Thanks Bucknut. Hope it is as nice as yours that is on display!
    Yours from what I can see looks to be in pretty good shape. But really ANY capped bust silver is special. Just a rare coin!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

WOW...under 1 mil mintage! Can you post a petter pic...and the reverse?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Awesome find! Congrats!

I will OxShoeDrew. Just want to clean it up first. Should have something later this week for sure.

Thanks rharris

Bucknut - still in shock when I saw this. It just shouldn't be there. I have to wonder if there was an old house at some point in the area. when I look around at the topography, back in the day, I would have set up a place there. Kind of on a hill with wildlife and water nearby. I haven't found any other old items here. No square nails, nothing. My guess is just great luck!

Wow, what a find! It looks to be in good shape too. I agree with the comment above about just soaking it in water. Perhaps you could add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to help loosen the soil. Let it soak overnight and the dirt should rinse right off.

I can't wait to see the pictures of it after it's cleaned up!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks Tony. I just changed the water out and added a drop of dish soap. There is one spot that is still caked on.

That's one great find! Looking forward to more pic's!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That's a truly awesome find!
    XP Deus