Thread: I thought it was a foreign coin at first (and I need help)

Threaded View

I thought it was a foreign coin at first (and I need help)

Hi everyone. I thought I would try the big coil on my CTX3030 to get accustomed to it. Went to a local school that was built in the 60s (that is 1960s for you East Coast people). I decided to go to a field behind the school that I have hit hard just because the kids lose a lot of quarters and it is a good break at lunch.

Had a 12-31 signal that was solid. Out popped this 1832 half-dime. Initially I thought it was a foreign coin since half-dimes are not even a thought in my head when metal detecting in WI (at least for me). I saw the back and through the dirt I could see United and Amer. Since I was just "testing the new coil", I didn't have my water. Now that the dirt is caked on, what are your best suggestions to clean this. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I can see some minor old wear on it. Sorry for bad picture, when I clean it, I will send more.

You know, yesterday while out, I thought to myself that this metal detecting thing is getting a little old. Had a bad day, bugs were aggressive, getting dehydrated, not finding much. Then today happened. Got this little gem. Oh by the way, a silver ring and a silver/gold ring as well. Will show those later too.

Please give suggestions on how to clean once the dirt is caked on. I have looked online, but would rather get the latest greatest from you guys/gals.

Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.