Thread: Sort of cleaned up half dime and rings

Sort of cleaned up half dime and rings

Hi Everyone - got the half dime somewhat cleaned up. Caked dirt is off. I think I am going to leave it as is. Too chicken to do anything else with it and I kind of like it found in the state it is in. Sorry for the somewhat poor photography, I think it was harder for me to take the pictures vs. finding the objects

Half dime found in an old "swamp". Topo maps have this whole area as swamp country back in the day. The closest civilization even in 1900 was 6 miles away. Maybe a it was show and tell for a kid at school and he/she left it for me to find years later????

Gold/silver ring (10K and sterling ESPO) was found near an old soccer field and same with the silver ring. What a day it was even though I was only out for about 60 minutes. Half dime was too darn exciting to concentrate for me. Yes I will be going back there.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

I think you've gone as far as you should with the Half Dime. You got the dirt off of it while leaving the natural toning and patina. I think it looks great! It must have been brand new when it was dropped because it has amazing detail and sharp rims!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I totally agree with Tony...just leave it alone from now on. That coin has a ton of detail on it! Great find.

Yeah anyone's guess as to why it was there. The Capped Bust half dime I found last year was near a river and my thought was that there could of been people exploring up river since there was a small settlement about 8 miles down the river.
    Last edited by Bucknut; 06-26-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Thanks Tony and Bucknut. I am officially putting it away.

It is funny to see your finds Bucknut. 1832 half dime and a similar ring except mine had the silver over the 10K gold. I guess you are my idol or inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    It is funny to see your finds Bucknut. 1832 half dime and a similar ring except mine had the silver over the 10K gold. I guess you are my idol or inspiration.
    Well that makes 1 person!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Looks pretty nice to me. Well done on the find and the cleaning. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Thanks WD!

Bucknut - I will start the Bucknut Fan Club.

Looks perfect the way you have it. Wow, what a beautiful coin
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Thanks Don. I found a Ben Franklin half dollar yesterday on a permission I have. Instantly thought, so this is what it is like to be Digger Don. Now for a silver watch.....

Is there an original post to this half dime, badgers? I hope it got up on the banner! I don't recall it and missed it!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew