Thread: Finding 1943 Steel Cent

Finding 1943 Steel Cent

Hey Everyone,
    I've sorting all my wheats by date and I'm only missing 1922,1933, and 1943. Any tips on finding a steel cent?
    Thanks!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I have only found them in a coin spill, and they are always just a round lump of rust.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Here's one I found in a coin spill.

Since they are steel it is unlikely that you will find one if you're using any discrimination at all. (Unless they're in a spill.)

Name:  Steel-Cent.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  88.2 KB
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 08-01-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks, Tony. I'll keep trying and watch out for a rusted disc. They're probably dust in our soil.
    Have you found a 1922?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

No, I've never found a 1922 wheat cent. Maybe someday!
    Lifetime totals:

Anyone know why they made record numbers of copper cents the years just prior to the steel cent and then THE MOST copper cents the very next year 1944? The war was still going on, I assume copper was still needed.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Anyone know why they made record numbers of copper cents the years just prior to the steel cent and then THE MOST copper cents the very next year 1944? The war was still going on, I assume copper was still needed.
    I'm not sure, unless they were afraid that people would hoard the 1943 steel cents because they were so unusual, causing a shortage of cents in circulation.
    Lifetime totals:

Well OxShoe, if you find a true 1943 copper cent, I will give you a dollar for it and will fly out to pick it up! I really don't know the reason behind only 1 full year of steel, but from a business standpoint, I would think it was supply/demand issue. Once demand for copper went up, the mines kicked into high gear to meet the demand. Likely steel cents were more expensive back then and harder to stamp out than copper due to the hardness of the material.

For whatever reason, I found about 4 1943 steel cents at 2 different parks. If I remember correctly, only 1 was by itself and I was digging everything. Otherwise, I agree with Tony. You have to hope for a wheatie spill.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.