Thread: Gold Ring find and return!!

Gold Ring find and return!!

Last night a had an hour to kill before meeting up with my family near my work so I detected a small school to kill the time. After about 10 minutes an older guy walks up to me and asks me if my detector can find gold. He then tells me that he lost his wedding ring about 6 years ago and never told his wife but instead quickly went out and bought a new one. His wife passed away a few years ago and he said that he has always felt bad for losing his original wedding ring. I tell him that I would be glad to try and find it so we walked over to his home and he shows me the area where he is pretty sure it is. He left it on a towel on top of his car and shook off the towel and forgot the ring was on it. I spent 30 minutes last night looking for it and found about dozen coins and bunch of crap but no ring. I asked him if he minded if I come during my lunch break this week and give it a try. He said I could come over any time even if he was not there. Today I stopped by and he was there but left about 5 minutes after I arrived. I dug another dozen coins and had to go when I got a 16 on the Equinox and only 2 inches deep. I thought to myself that this is a perfect gold signal and sure enough it was! What a feeling!

Name:  In dirt.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  111.3 KB
    Name:  dirty.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  57.0 KB
    Name:  clean.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  116.6 KB

I have not returned it yet but I will tonight after work. I am looking forward to seeing his reaction (no I will not video it). This is my first return.

His house was built in 1950 and is a nice corner lot so I think I can get the ok to detect the rest of his yard and maybe I can find a rosie or maybe even a merc. I did find a couple Wheaties near the ring so silver should be there.

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 08-07-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

What an awesome story, Jared! I can't wait to hear about his reaction! I have been asked to search for lost rings before but I've never had any success. Your perseverance paid off this time!

Kudos to you!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I just returned the ring. He was very excited and relieved to have it again! That felt good!
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Elite Member
    I agrre, great recovery. thx for posting and yes follow up on his reaction as I can only imagine he will be EXTREMELY grateful. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Good job on the recovery and return .What a great looking ring .Good Karma will come your way I'm sure .

That is great! Good deed done.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Good goin, Jared! What was his reaction?!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Good goin, Jared! What was his reaction?!
    He was very surprised and relieved about getting his ring back. He insisted on giving me a reward too. But knowing I made his day was better than getting the reward. He has a big corner lot home built in 1950 so he is letting me detect it so I hope to find a newer silver... I have found lots of clad and a few wheats so far during my lunch breaks.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Great job locating that ring! I'm sure he was thrilled to get it back.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Just finally catching up on the posts. Great job Bucknut! It is a great feeling giving something back to someone who lost something. Emotionally for that man, you completed something that made him feel guilty for quite awhile. This is truly an awesome thing you did and I bet he is happy as heck that he asked you if you would help.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.