Thread: Saturday hunt leaves me feeling sick

Elite Member

Saturday hunt leaves me feeling sick

I'll preface this post with a hunt I had several years back. I was at an old park that was producing clad quarters in amazing numbers. For some reason among the 50+ quarters I got a similar signal 1' under the ground same as all the other quarters, the only problem was it was a '24 SLQ in great shape. Amazingly no digger marks. Moving ahead to Saturday I was having a decent hunt with 3 silver dimes when I decided to look for some gas money. 30 clad quarters later I get another quarter maybe clad half signal an inch or 2 under. After hacking away at the hard ground I see a Walking Half and this time I was not lucky on missing it. Worse yet it was a gorgeous 1918. I hunted this area many times and the signal was plenty strong, no idea how I missed that signal. Hopefully lesson learned as it was a costly one. Makes you sick when you ruin a beautiful old coin like that one. Wisconsin Digger
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

I think most of us know that sick feeling. (I know I do!) It's one of the hazards of the hobby, unfortunately. Sometimes it is unavoidable, especially when the ground is hard or the digging is difficult because of tree roots.

It's a cool find! Hey, it's still a Half Dollar that's over 100 years old! Don't beat yourself up over it.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Still a great hunt and coin. I whacked that capped bust dime I posted the other day. It is a sick feeling for sure.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Wow, you dig a lot of quarters!
    The left merc looks weird, I wonder what happened.
    I've scuffed coins just by moving them...they hit a rock or something. Unavoidable. Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Elite Member
    I think the Merc was in a fire as it was pretty rough. There also was charred remnants in the hole. Found a 1909 wheatie about a foot away but it was not burned.
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Did the same with a barber half so I know how sick you feel!!

What I want to know, why is it just the nice coins we ding? It's never the toasted featureless coins. Dinged or not, still a great find.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."