Thread: A months worth of finds and a fake that fooled me...

A months worth of finds and a fake that fooled me...

I did not detect very much in July and early August due to the lack of rain in my area but I managed some "new" silver coins. The one exception to the new silvers is a Capped Bust dime I already posted about...still pretty excited about it even though it is nearly slick.

Name:  silvers.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  108.6 KB

Also found a really nice 1900 Indian that was dropped new.

Name:  1900.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  73.7 KB
    Name:  Indians V.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  123.8 KB

The story of the fake that fooled me... So about 3-4 weeks ago my Mom texted me and said she found this coin at the site where last year my family and I found the 40 buttons all related to the War of 1812. I was dumbfounded. The first pics she sent me were blurry I think due to her using Samsung and I having an iPhone. Later she emailed me a few pics that were a little better and I posted these on this forum. I was pretty excited and I believed my mom (who does not believe their Mom right?). However Del pointed out a few things that were "off" and I realized he was right so I asked Tony to pull the post until I could confirm it one way or the other. This past week I was up at our cottage with my family and handled coin and it is obvious that its fake. It is supposed to be a Draped Bust silver Dollar but it is the exact same size as a Morgan and it should be a couple mm bigger. I scratched the side of it and revealed copper...so it is a silver plated pc of copper from China. There are a number of other things wrong with it too including the mirror like finish on it.

Name:  Fake DP.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  143.8 KB
    Name:  Fake.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  113.3 KB

My Mom insists that she dug it at the site so that means that someone planted it as a joke or my Mom is joking with me. There are 2 other people who know about this site so maybe they did it? All I know is that for a day I thought that one of my kids college was paid for (well maybe a years worth anyways).

My family and I had another great week up there this past week with a bunch of buttons and even some Native American copper artifacts that I hope to post by tomorrow.

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    I know the dry days of July and August. Just getting out is a challenge. You are becoming the war nickel master. Should have a set by now. Congrats on all the finds. that Indian is exceptional. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

nice tally of silvers Bucknut and huge congrats on the capped bust ( wouldn't matter to me how slick it is ) its still a great coin to find . The 1900 indian is quite a looker always great to find them in that shape . I was regretting to give you the bad news on the silver dollar copy (but i'm a always wanting the truth kind of guy no matter the pain it may bring ) , there are a few reasons the coin could have been there though but I appreciate you filling us in and setting the story straight sir . If nothing else its a great conversation starter !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Love the 1900 Indian. Wow is that crisp. Sweet finds. I haven't out much at all since July/August either.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.