Thread: Lots of War of 1812 buttons and Copper Indian artifacts!

Threaded View

Lots of War of 1812 buttons and Copper Indian artifacts!

Last year my 4 kids and I dug 40 War of 1812 era US military buttons and it was a blast at our cottage in northern Michigan. This year was even better! We dug a total of 43 buttons! Many are flat buttons and about 10 were burnt beyond recognition. 21 were found at the same site at last year. The first spot has an area where the majority of the buttons are in and it is very apparent that there was a burn pit of some sort. The rest were found at a new site. I did not take a pic of the burned unidentifiable buttons.

Name:  all.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  88.0 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  99.6 KB
    Name:  Eagle script I.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  backs.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  76.3 KB
    Name:  Scrpt A.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  134.6 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  77.4 KB

Here are a some other relics. Son #1 found the handle last year and then son #2 found the fork this year and they go together nicely. There is a copper patch as well in this pic...they would patch up kettles and rivet them together...you can see the rivets on the part.
    Name:  relics.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  88.1 KB

This is the smallest buckle I have ever found...that is a musket ball next to it.

Name:  small.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  83.2 KB

I also found 2 indian copper artifacts. I found them wondering around in woods within 50 yards of the shore. The first was a copper fish hook and the other was a copper knife. Both are about 4 inches long. The knife is missing a "tang" that broke off perhaps when it was dropped. I forget the name of the tribe (Jujuten ??) but the museum near my cottage had examples of both of these items and they date around 600 years ago. I also found a couple pcs of copper here and there in the woods that I can only assume are indian related as well.

Name:  copper.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  73.0 KB
    Name:  copper pcs.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  90.9 KB

A view of the forest at the 2nd site. This trail is on a map from 1828.

Name:  forest.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  92.8 KB

There are apparently many many more spots that are around. Maybe I could take all of next summer off?

Thanks for looking!! Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 08-19-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)