Thread: Fatty, buttons and one of the oddest things I've found

Fatty, buttons and one of the oddest things I've found

Went back to the mid 1800's site just 5 minutes from my house. Tried some different settings and sniffed some finds from the blanket of iron. Got a dateless fatty and misc. other stuff. The anchor button is civilian.

I dug this ship's wheel looking thingy.

I was surprised when I turned it over and saw this.

It's a guy's head in profile. Looks like someone cut the picture out, put a piece of glass over it then crimped it. The glass isn't even round. Looks like it was chipped from a bottle. Just an odd looking piece. If you have any ideas on this thing, please let me know.

Jeff
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That’s the stuff I dig for, the odd WTF is this, it’s obvious it has age to it, does the picture appear tin type or paper? Almost looks like news paper print? Congrats on saving some relics we may never know the origin of this looks one of a kind......

Good job sniffing all those goodies out of the iron.

The ship's wheel thingy with the portrait in it is curious indeed! I've never seen anything like it. How cool that you can still see the photo in it. What a mysterious piece!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That's very odd, Jeff! Interesting too. I hope someone chimes in.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That's a cool find! Based on the picture (clothing & eyeglasses) I'd guess 1890's-1900.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Thanks gents. Oneil you are right, the image is print of some sort.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Elite Member
    Congrats on all the relic finds especially that unique one. Always fun trying to figure out WHY or WHO Congrats WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes