Thread: Hunt in Nebraska while on Vacation

Hunt in Nebraska while on Vacation

I totally had forgotten about this, went out to Nebraska to visit my folks at the end of Sept., brought my MD along with plans of Detecting some parks. I called Parks rec. dept. to make sure it was okay. Answer was Yes, but you can dig the target.. I then said, well, you might just want to say No when people ask as that answer just sounds silly. He laughed and agreed.

So there was a small 2 acre field close to my parents house on the outskirts of town, got permission and only hunted a couple hours. But, managed to find a Nebraska Militia Staff Officers button, what I think is a bale seal, and some part of Jewelry (maybe?) Was really hoping for a coin (as we all do) but I was satisfied just to get out hunting. The last image is an undug example of the button.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by catskillcomics; 11-09-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

That is a nice button. How old do you think it is? I would be very tempted to soak it in lemon juice for 20 minutes bc it looks like there is some gilt showing.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Yes, I has that response on my only out of state trip, although a local said no one cares if you dig I didn't venture there. Congrats on the recoveries on your backup hunt. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Your button might clean up very well.
    That thing on the right looks to me like some kind of bat wing.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I already used Lemon juice on it, that's the best its going to look unfortunately. Not 100% on the age, but Nebraska didn't become a state until 1867.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    That is a nice button. How old do you think it is? I would be very tempted to soak it in lemon juice for 20 minutes bc it looks like there is some gilt showing.
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Very cool button. Have you tried CLR on it?
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

CLR works very well with a gilded button with a soft toothbrush.