Thread: Amazing hunt in Ohio!

Amazing hunt in Ohio!

Last week I visited my family farm in Ohio to do some deer hunting and as usual I brought the detector. When I got to my dad's house he mentioned to me that he obtained a field permission for me so I was happy to get a chance to hunt an old site. I spent maybe 4 hours there and found a couple cool relics and 4 old coins. 1864, 1866 (2x), and an 1865 2 cent! The 2 cent has crusty edges but otherwise it is in decent shape. One of the 1866 Indians has a full liberty.

Name:  2cent.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  80.4 KB
    Name:  2cent2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  relics.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  131.4 KB

The relics are a few flat buttons, a pc of a crotal bell, an old cow tag, and then what I think is a barrel to a small pistol and a bayonet. The bayonet I am not sure about...it is made of copper which seems wrong and it has a threaded end which also seems wrong. Any thoughts on what it is would be appreciated. The tip is broken.

On Friday I spent about 4 hours at an old honey hole that I have hammered over the last 8 years (and so has many other people including Tony2Cent and DaddyDigger a few years back). I was just hoping for a silver and I ended up digging a nickel trifecta AND a dime trifecta!

Name:  dirt.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  84.2 KB
    Name:  dime tri1.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  85.4 KB
    Name:  dime tri2.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  89.6 KB
    Name:  nik tri.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  83.4 KB

One of the cool things I found was a pool token. It states "The J M Brunswick & Balke Co" on one side and then "Good for" and "James _iveman". I did a little research and the Brunswick Pool table company would make these tokens for pool halls/parlors that had their tables. These tokens were given to people for a free game or 5 cents off or whatever. There are many many different varieties too so it is hard to tell how old this one is but they made them starting in the late 1860's until the 1940's. These tokens often had the name of the pool hall or owner so maybe if I did more research with "James _iveman" then maybe I can narrow down how old this is.

Name:  token2.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  88.0 KB
    Name:  token1.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  79.0 KB

All...

Name:  all.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  119.0 KB

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Wow , those are some truly amazing hunts ! Great coins and relics ! Congrats . Best of luck to you also on filling up your freezer for the winter . Great pictures !

Wow, that's some great hunting! Lucky to see any trifecta much less 2. Love that full liberty IH! Too bad the seated is so wiped on the reverse, but regardless, it's a great find.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Holy moly you got some great finds Jared!!! Glad to see the old "field of dreams" is still producing old silvers too. I think your bayonet thingy is a lightning rod that probably screwed onto the top of a weather vane or roof fixture (but that is just a wild-ass guess on my part). Happy digging! Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

You killed it!!! Amazing amount and assortment of finds! That 1866 is a gem!...and a seated!!! WOW!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It just goes to show you. You don't have to get a deer in order to have a great hunt. Though a deer would have been a nice bonus. Excellent finds !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    It just goes to show you. You don't have to get a deer in order to have a great hunt. Though a deer would have been a nice bonus. Excellent finds !
    Who said I did not get a deer? Ha ha. I did harvest a nice doe.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Holy moly you got some great finds Jared!!! Glad to see the old "field of dreams" is still producing old silvers too. I think your bayonet thingy is a lightning rod that probably screwed onto the top of a weather vane or roof fixture (but that is just a wild-ass guess on my part). Happy digging! Dave.
    Yes the field of dreams! I think a lightning rod tip is more likely.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Who said I did not get a deer? Ha ha. I did harvest a nice doe.
    "Harvest a nice doe" is code for "I waited and waited but finally had to shoot a doe."
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    "Harvest a nice doe" is code for "I waited and waited but finally had to shoot a doe."
    Yeah that is true. I did let an 8pt walk by me. My family can be picky this year since we have a 900lb steer (the one wearing my crotal bell collection) that will be in the freezer in a month.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Elite Member
    Great hunts both dirt fishing and freezer filling. You need to talk to my Son that does taste better (or as good) as Bucks. It has to be fun digging coins in an old site where everything is mid 1800's. What a bunch of great finds. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

What a spectacular post! So many incredible finds. Four coins from the 1860s including a Two Cent Piece and a sharp 1866 Indian Head!

I'm not 100% sure what the "Field of Dreams" is but if it's the place I think it is then DaddyDigger has had a lot more success there than I have. LOL

Congrats on the Nickel Trifecta and the Dime Trifecta too. I really love that Billiard token! I bet it's from the early 1900s.

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Now go back and dig up the rest of that gun!! Great finds there buddy!

Great finds!! Mmmmm back straps.... Not sure what I would have done if I went down there to deer hunt and started finding those coins/relics. Congrats!!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Excellent finds Jared. You killed it once again!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great hunt! I think the bayonet thingy is an early framing chisel.

Love the token. That could have been a saloon. I would say late 1800's and no earlier than the early 1900's.
    XP Deus

Great finds Jared. Token is likely late 1800s since the hole looks like it was made by a square nail. Very cool!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos