Thread: Expensive metal detectors???

Expensive metal detectors???

I would like to get a few opinions of what you personally think the advantages are for having an expensive metal detector. And also what is the average amount you must pay to get just an adequate detector that can detect metal 8 to 10 inches below ground and be able to discern silver brass or nickel from plain iron and Rusty bottle caps?

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    The main advantage of buying a top end detector is that it gives you the ability to adjust settings so you can get the best performance for the area you are detecting. One that can do all the things you are asking for is the Minelab Equinox 600 or 800. The new Nokto/Makro Simplex can also do what you are looking for but it does have issues IDing bottle caps and is not very adjustable. Price wise the Equinox 600 is $649; 800 is $899 the Simplex is $254-339 depends if you want wireless headphones.Check out some of this guys comparison videos https://youtu.be/RKmBPfUEVwY

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Jeff nailed it.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I agree with Firefighter as well. I have an AT Pro and spent the big dollars on the Minelab CTX3030. Once I understood both machines, it then comes down to how you want to detect. If you are the mind of "I did it all", then it doesn't matter what detector you get as long as you can distinguish between ferrous and non-ferrous. You will learn the bottle cap signals, but I still dig those because every once in awhile, I get a nickel/silver in the hole or silver/wheat/nickel spill. I do love all the features of the CTX, but at the end of the day if I were to buy another, I likely would get the Equinox 800.

In my opinion, wireless headphones are a must especially if you are hunting wooded areas. I also like them when it gets muddy so I am not putting on headphones with 2 muddy gloved hands.
    Last edited by badgers325; 11-26-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.