Thread: Insane hunt yields 14 century coins

Elite Member

Insane hunt yields 14 century coins

Hard to explain but don't pinch me because I don't want to wake up. I went out today to find some clad dimes and maybe an old coin or 2. WOW, can't explain it but it was a crazy hunt. Of course I needed a few clad dimes to hit a goal and I find a coin spill of nothing but dimes for a total of 5. It took about 15 minutes to find the dimes I needed so I spent the rest of the time trying to find an old coin. I can only explain it as perfect ground conditions or I don't know what it was but I found more Indians and Barber dimes then I can ever remember finding. One of the Indians actually has the brown copper color yet. In total I got 5 Barber Dimes and 7 Indians along with 4 Mercury's and 2 wheats (one a 1916). I also found a 1893 Dog Tag. What a day. I also posted the results of several previous hunts as well, that included a really nice 10K ring with a sterling base. Let it snow now as I am good Wisconsin Digger
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

What??!!! That is insane! Everyone needs to end their season like that. I am very jealous.

Big congrats!!!!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Wow ! Congratulations ! You attended the Barber College .

1893 , I guess it's safe to say that dog hasn't needed that License for some time .

"What a day" is an understatement ! That is a lot of silver! Dog tag is pretty cool too.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

1800's dog tags are rare finds. Awesome hunt.
    XP Deus

That's a crazy good day!!
    Congrats!!

I'd love to see the dog tag. Ones from the 1800's are pretty rare. And I love those old dog tags!
    Is it "tax" or "tag"?
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

So many nice keepers! Love that dog tag!!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    I'd love to see the dog tag. Ones from the 1800's are pretty rare. And I love those old dog tags!
    Is it "tax" or "tag"?
    Not sure why, but I couldn't see the picture of the tag or the ring. But they're there now! Very nice tag! And it's a TAX tag! Love those!
    And that ring ain't too shabby either! This hunt might been deserving of a banana dance!

Elite Member
    Thanks all, I certainly wish I could figure out what caused this day to produce all the deep finds. I still think the very slight frost in the ground had something to do with it as I have covered this area several times already. All these coins were deep except for one Merc and that was a really good signal. A lot of the coins had junk in the hole so I am thinking because of the ground condition the coin signals were coming out more than the junk. It definitely has me thinking of buying an Equinox if this is was is getting missed. It sure was a fun day but the 4 and 1/2 hours definitely wiped me out the next day. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

That's an insane hunt. Been thinking everything has been found and then you post this!

Don't you just love it when the conditions are just right to get that extra depth? Five Barber Dimes and seven Indian Heads in one hunt is mind blowing! The dog tag and the ring are super nice also. A day like that will put a smile on your face every time!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow!! Now that is a banner day. Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Let it snow now as I am good Wisconsin Digger
    I bet you are!! That would be either very calming or very disturbing for the next 4 months.
    That was one stellar day!
    Congrats!

Congrats WI Digger! Incredible day.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.