Thread: ATPRO BROKEN COIL Can it be fixed

ATPRO BROKEN COIL Can it be fixed

We've had some mild weather this past week, melting most of the snow and the ground was soft so I went out detecting this morning.. Things were going along ok then all of the sudden my detector went haywire. Went over the entire detector to see what it could be an then I noticed a big chunk out of the bottom of the coil. Do you think this is why my detector was going crazy on every frequency? And do you think if I used a plastic JB weld filler if that would fix the issue, or should I just junk it and get a new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

You probably compromised the windings in the coil. Guessing either the cold made the plastic brittle, or it was cracked already and got water in it. Either way it's most likely junk.
    Never use JB weld on a detector. It has powdered metal in the epoxy. That would be like detecting with a nickel taped to the bottom of your coil!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Digger, ya, I thought about that, that's why I was going to use the JB weld that's just plastic not steel powder or maybe clear epoxy..I guess if its crap, I can't exactly make it worse if it doesn't work. OH SANTA are you listening LOL

Well, theres a couple tests you might be able to do. One is to ohm out the coil and verify resistance is in spec on each coil. Should be able to find the specs and pinouts online.

The other, and more accurate would be to check the coil's inductance. But that takes a special meter, and you would have to know the coil wire diameter and total length, or get the inductance spec somewhere. Problem being, the meter likely costs far more than a new coil. I learned that a long time ago when I had to buy one when I wound my own Tesla coils.

Finally, if you do attempt a repair, I would suggest a close examination for any other cracking or evidence of the windings being exposed. Make sure everything is as clean as possible, maybe using something like a good contact cleaner. Make a form ahead of time to pour your epoxy into the breach so that it doesnt run out. You will need a thin runny epoxy that will flow between the windings and seep into every possible gap. Use a long working time epoxy which will allow any bubbles to rise to the top.
    Just make sure that whatever epoxy you use, it has a high dielectric rating, good hardness, and temperature range once hardened.
    Next, bake the coil in the oven on the lowest setting so you dont melt the plastic. Make sure it's on a flat clean surface like an old cookie sheet to prevent warping. This should dry out any moisture. At this point, just do your repair with extra material on top which will likely be full of little bubbles. Sand/grind it down, and finish as you like.
    Yeah, its lots of work and no guarantee it will work, but it could get you back up without a new coil. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Equipment:

Spent last night doing some light sanding and wiped everything down 3 times with rubbing alcohol and placed it in our little furnace room overnight which keeps at a nice 80 degree temp. Saw 1 other crack and a few little pin holes, so I Picked up the epoxy this morning and applied to the entire surface, we shall see by the end of the day if it worked. Thanks for the advice Digger!

Well, the epoxy is set and went out for a test, there is still a little interference, but not nearly as bad as before and it is picking up targets properly so, it'll have to do until I place an order for a new coil. Name:  20191216_145153.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  72.7 KB

Glad to hear it's working again! You may want to invest in a skid plate with the new coil. Its cheap insurance against wearing through your coil.

Equipment:

ya I use to have one on all my other machines, just for whatever reason didn't think to get one for this one.. as you know hunting in the woods can be brutal on the coils.